Rover 200 a little smokey

Hi all,

Just had the head gasket changed on my 99 Rover 200 (1.6) and now there appears to be no coolant loss - hurray!

Now, I noticed that since I have had the car (6 weeks) and with a hot engine/exhaust, that when pulling away from idle there would be a brief period of grey smoke coming from the exhaust which would soon clear. I had assumed that this was coolant getting into the chamber, but it is still happening after the gasket change.

What concerns me is that in a stop-start jam after a 25 mile run, mine smokes whilst the vehicles all around do not. Should I be concerned by any of this?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

Keep an eye on the coolant and temperature gauge. Keep an eye on the oil level. If all these remain normal (although IME the K Series can burn a little oil) then I wouldn't worry. I had one for nearly two years and it constantly belched steam out of the exhaust. I can only put it down to a strange combustion process. In saying that, depending on the weather, burning a gallon of fuel in an engine can result in a gallon of water being produced!

Reply to
gazzafield

Thanks - I feel much happier now. Will keep a close eye on the levels especially between now and when the warranty runs out :)

Reply to
marpate1

Now that I come to think of it, my present car - a Laguna - is very steamy as well in this cooler weather. I rarely do less than 20 miles after starting my car up as I live in a rural village in Ayrshire. It will still steam when I arrive at my destination a lot of the time. It uses no water and very, very little oil.

Reply to
gazzafield