Rover 416 coolant leak.

OK this one is doing my head in.Apologis for the essay in advance....

Mates 416 P reg injection. Runs like a dream, no lumpiness at idle etc.

However it is loosing a small amount of coolant, and on these engines that's a doubly bad thing of course. Sat for three hours after a run and it's dripped enough to make a little patch about three inch across. It's certainly coolnat it's leaking - there is no air con.

I've swapped the inlet manifold gasket, and that appears to have solved the leak, for a while. There was another small leak on the bleed screw on the bottom radiator hose on the cold side of the thermostat - again that's sorted.

Since the idle is smooth I don't think there is air getting past the inlet gasket, and it doesn't seem to be ingesting coolant so hopefully there is no problem there, since that manifold is a pain to get off. The leak now appears to be dripping down the offside rear of the block around where the PAS pump is. There is no (visible) leak from the manifold or piping or stat housing at this point.

I'm tending toward the waterpump now, but I'd like some input as to the possibilities. IIRC this area is waterpump territory as it sits behind the stat housing?

Engine has just passed 100k and runs fine. However it's 60k since the timing belt was swapped (blew a camshaft seal at 40k so new belt). I'm tending towards a new waterpump fitting as the cambelt is getting towards replacement - just do both together.

Opinions appreciated..... (also if anyone knows price of waterpump that would be good too.....)

Reply to
Chris Street