ROVER Query

I've a rover 214sei (1995) and recently the engine seems to juddering...

I start up fine, but after a mile or so the engine seems to be struggling for power, so I pull over rev the engine slightly for a minute or so, then all's ok.. BUT now its doing it more often than not.

Would this be something like the fuel filter or something more £££ and terminal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

JJ

Reply to
superchicken

Could be. When were the leads, plugs, rotor arm and dizzy cap changed?

Reply to
gazzafield

Could it be something to do with the pressure in the fuel tank? Cap not sealing properly?

Reply to
John

Gazzafield,

I did them about 2 weeks ago, and it was serviced a month ago, but for some reason they didn't do the fuel filter...

regs

JJ

"gazzafield" wrote >

Reply to
superchicken

Could it be that the windows need a quick clean! OMG. It's a problem with either the fuel line/filter/pump or it's an electrical problem. Process of elimination. Take it to a garage and show them you have an idea what is wrong but don't have time to do it yourself. That way they might not rip you off as much.

Reply to
steve

It might be [the|a] temperature sensor or thermostat. Driving in this weather, it takes an age to warm up, so maybe its on cold start settings for too long. By pulling over, you lose the airflow through the rad, thus the engine heats up, the sensor kicks off and the engine runs normally. I know there is a temperature sensor to do this somewhere on the Rover. If the 'stat is stuck open, it causes issues. Unlikely its the fuel filter as they don't tend to block then unblock in that manner. Could be the fuel filler cap. When you are down to half a tank, try removing the cap when the problem occurs, then drive a short distance without the cap on ( no hard cornering! ). If the problem remains, it isn't the filler cap. Could be the fuel pump. When the problem manifests, try turning the engine off then switch the ignition straight back on but don't start the car. Is the fuel pump making any odd noises?, it may not run properly until has been running for a few minutes, kinda like an old dog stretching itself awake :-)

Eliminate as many possible causes as you can before taking it to a spannermonkey, and if you have to take it in, explain what you've already done, it may save you a bit of money.

HTH

Reply to
Moon Badger

More importantly, when was the head gasket last done???

:-)

Reply to
Pete M