rover v8 ignition problem

Hi there, The ignition failed on my RV8 powered van the other night. At first it stopped completely but I managed to get it started again and limp it home (any throttle made it die). Just after it failed I noticed the coil was hot, but I don't know if it's the coil that's at fault or the ignition unit. I think it's a Lucas DLM8 dizzy with the module on the side. If I turn the rotor arm back and forth by hand with the ignition on I get a good spark, about an inch long. However, when I crank the engine, I get no spark at all even if I hook up another battery to the coil (the van is an ex ambulance and has three batteries.) If I ground the -ve side of the coil I get a tiny spark only, maybe 1/2mm long. So I guess I have to figure out if it's the coil or the ignition module. does anyone know how I can test the coil? Jeremy

Reply to
jeremy