Saab dashboard error display / reset ?

A colleague has a new Saab (company car), and ignoring the small issue of the engine being completely screwed within the first 1000 miles :-p (not sure what it was, but it was _major_ and not his fault) - he now has a dashboard error display telling him his rear tail light is out.

This has been checked / replaced by our own garage, but it hasn't reset the error message - so its not using any clever electronics to actually detect its no longer broken, its just a dealer xmas party fund to reset the damn thing.

Anyone know how to reset it ?

TIA :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Usually replacing the bulb or hitting CLEAR (or holding it) solves the problem... take it back to fix it?

Reply to
DervMan

I'll have a word with him when i'm back in work on tuesday...

As for taking it back to our garage (LOL) you typically only use them when no alternatives are available - the AA / RAC are probably more use.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Surely if it's new, just take it back and tell them to sort it...?

Reply to
Iridium

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Take it back to the garage or tell your colleague to come on to the group so I can tell him directly what to do. No point relaying it via a third party.

Reply to
Tony

He wants to be a hero instead. The main dealer will fix it within 5mins, so will the garage responsible for it. It's just a matter of taking it in and asking rather than demanding and telling them. People hate a know-it-all, especially when they ask in a newsgroup then go charging in bluffing about how to fix a problem.

Reply to
Tony

No you won't because

A) You're a troll.

B) You don't know.

and C) You never follow up your posts.

Reply to
Iridium

You've misread the situation slightly, i'm not trying to be a hero at all, he doesn't give a shit about the warning, and is happy to leave it there until its' next service - but knowing how many miles he does these days, that could be 6+ months away.

If it was simple to clear, I was going to let him know (and still probably end up having to do it myself - he's a little "challenged" by anything electronic these days, following an accident)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Per my other reply - following a 3 month coma and brain injuries a couple of years ago, he has a limited capacity for using electrical equipment. Computers come under that category.

I had him move next to me in work because it was quicker than walking over to the other side of the office every two minutes because he couldn't get the cursor to do what he wanted.

So, if you actually know, it would, in this instance, be easier to tell me.

Otherwise, if you would be so kind as to keep your uninformed judgements about any possible motives to yourself :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Should he be on the road at all?

Reply to
MrCheerful

Erm, he can't get the cursor to do what he wanted, yet he's driving?

Is that safe?

Reply to
David Taylor

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

Did they actually replace the faulty bulb? And did they fit the right bulb?

The system used on these cars means that if one bulb goes out, it'll turn on another one. Get somebody to sit in the car and work all the lights, while somebody stands at the back and checks that the same bulbs are lighting up on both sides, and at similar brightness. It could also be a slightly faulty bulb or bad connection, which may still allow the bulb to light up, but confuse the sensing electronics (I've seen it a couple times), in which case easiest option is a trip to someone with suitable diagnostic equipment.

Reply to
moray

He's OK with most skills he had prior to the accident, but using a computer was not one of them. He's a little slower on the uptake of new skills now, but he's getting there.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I can't use a sewing machine, but I can drive. I suspect there are learned activities that you yourself are not very good at, but they have no bearing on your ability to drive. Archery, origami, and electron microscopy spring to mind as some examples :-}

He was never any good with computers, and perhaps the cursor example sounded too "limiting" - have you never installed an application and not had a clue where to start ? (hint: try POVRAY and raytrace a Model T as your first project, without looking at any examples or instructions...)

His competency level with computers was to format emails by pressing TAB until the cursor dropped to the next line, without realising that when someone opened the email in a differently sized window it'd all go to c*ck.

He's been through the medical screening and passed as safe to drive.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yes

AFAIK, but knowing our garage...

Thanks for the sensible reply :-)

No worries, it'll wait until he sends it in for his service - all the other lights have been checked and seem to work normally.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

But he should...