Sagging power

1.8 conventionally injected turbo diesel

Yesterday the Moandeo started, moved 2' then stopped again. Turned out to be a crack in the rubber hose from the fuel line to the filter head.

Rixed that, and was then unable to bleed the system 'cos the plunger on the priming bulb had got stuck down.

Uncrimped it, found that the piston inside was oversized, presumable it'd swollen from a decade's immersion in diesel. Pared about a thou off it and it worked nicely again, but I couldn't completely seal the cap of the priming pump again, not having a suitable press etc. So, hiho off to the breakers and come back bearing a new filterhead.

Fitted that, bled the system, engine started, all well.

Except it isn't quite. From time to time the power sags a bit. Not completely cut off, just goes soft for a second or so. The rest of the time there's no shortage of power beyond what you'd expect with a 1.8 diesel pulling a big estate.

So - does it need more bleeding or have I still got an air leak or is there something else I've missed?

Reply to
Guy King

The priming thingys are notorious for leaking air, you're 2nd hand one might be borked.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

The message from John Greystrong contains these words:

Oh follicles, it was the only one on the breakers. I thought that was suspicious!

Reply to
Guy King

car shops have them quite cheap these days

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

What, 200k '97 Mondeos? Yeah, that's how come I drive one!

Reply to
Guy King

No. The pump thing, it is now a standard pattern part.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

Last one I saw had three bolt holes, this one only has two. Still - thanks for the idea, I'll go look.

Reply to
Guy King

Ive had good success with sealing the bugger up around the press button etc with silicone. (fine til you need to do another filter change)

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from "Tim.." contains these words:

I might have a better go a crimping the old one, which didn't leak, just jammed.

Reply to
Guy King

FFS, put a new filter head on it. Its unbelievable the things people buy from breakers yards! Do you buy your filters there as well?

Mind you, we had someone come in for a second hand head gasket once!

Reply to
SimonJ