F*£% Power Steering Box

So, 3 months ago I decide to change my weeping power steering box myself. Got a box from Sodbury (course it wont leak mate!!!!!)

After alot of F'ing and Blind'ing I managed to get the old one off.

Again, taking a bleeding long time to do, in between having to get a new car for the girlfriend to get to work and ended up spending all my time on that and not the Landy a couple of weeks ago I finally managed to get it on.

I started it up minus the drop arm, bled the system and it all was all ok.

Stuck the drop arm on week or so ago and now it pi$$'s out more fluid than the old bleeding one.

Im assuming that its just a duff box rather than me doing something wrong??

Being that it was such a long time ago since I took the old one off, I cant remember if the drop arm went all the way up the to the bottom of the box or if there was a gap on the shaft? There is on mine, not being able to get it any further up. The drop arm doesn't act as a seal for the bottom of the box???

Its taking me such along time to get this far (trying to do it on a budget) and now all it seams I can do is nurse it to a garage and end up spending more money on it than if Id just done that in the first place!

Seriously piSSed off!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

Thats one of the major symptoms of Landroveritis - spending 10 quid to save 1 ! Don't worry, we all do it.......

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

If it is, take it down to Sodbury and you can bet some sucker will buy it! :)

Reply to
David French

Tim,

If its anything like the RR box, the drop arm doesn't go right up the shaft. The nut pushes it as far as it will go when you tighten it.

I did read in one of the LR mags, someone put a rubber bush on the shaft between arm and box and it stopped it leaking! None of the guaranteed stop leak cures seem to work. I bought a recon box - then it leaked at th econnection from the pump!

Reply to
Steve Medlock

Try adding two teaspoons of DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid into the steering fluid reservoir. Brake fluid supposedly makes the seals thicker and they supposedly tighten around the leaking shaft therefore reducing the spilling/dripping.

I tried it on one of my Discos and up until now it appears to be working ok. No damage to any related part either (pump, pas box etc)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

The leaking problem is caused the seal "machining" a slight groove in the shaft. Trying to replace the seal without checking that the shaft is ok is an excercise in futility - it wont work (for long!) even with the "correct" blue seal. It your box leaks, to repair it satisfactorily the shaft almost always needs to be re-chromed - anyone who repairs hydraulic rams can do this.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

you want to check the copper washers on the banjo fitting , make sure they are there and also clean . you could change them if you wanted to . do the nut up fairly tight as well , but not that tight youll snap the thing .

put 1/2 pint at least of brake fluid in the steering fluid reservoir , a small amount wont do much but a mug full will .

run vehicle for a couple of days and the leak should stop , but it depends on how big a leak you had in first place . most landies leak a drop or two but it doesnt run out like water .

you can allways drain the fluid out after a week or two and refill with fresh fluid , if youre worried about consequences of brake fluid in the reservoir .

mines had the brake fluid treatment and its still good after 3 years .

Reply to
M0bcg