Sea Damaged Peugeot 306

Peugeout 306 1996 1.4 Petrol

This car was dipped in the sea for about 20minutes. Since then the car has not started, the engine has been flushed, the alternator, starter motor, Engine Management, clocks have all been replaced.

The car was taken for a diagnostic but was unable to be scanned due to the immobiliser being switched on.

Where on the car is the immobiliser? Is it replaceable? or will the entire locking system have to be replaced? Can the immobiliser be bypassed/replaced by a different system?

Ta!

Reply to
Steve

There has to be a funny, but probably very tragic, story behind this very sad tale. Please enlighten us as to the exact circumstances. Our minds are boggled :-)

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Hum! I would have thought that a nice salt bath would have turned the vehicle into scrap after less than about 1 min in the water. Just about EVERY electronic item locks, radio, ECU etc would be ruined. The damage would be insidious and might not show up until the next owner has a right bag off poo on his hands. Claim on the insurance or scrap it! Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Steve

Apparently the insurance wont pay out as it was negligent taking the car to the beach...

Reply to
Steve

oooooh

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"Steve" mumbled:

I've often wondered about the brainpower of jetski owners.

Reply to
Guy King

"Steve" mumbled:

You'll bet it was! Well done the insurers.

Reply to
Guy King

heh - living near the coast it's great - some tractor owners charge a small fee for towing the jet-ski to the waterline and back, but some people insist on using their 4x4. Of course, the landrover / rangerover / ML / X5 type people get away with it, I dread to think how much money changed hands when the tide was coming in and the CRV was getting towed inland by the tractor but I bet it would have been cheaper to get him to launch the boat in the first place...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

new electrics and the body won't have liked it too much either

Reply to
dojj

Saw a sea damaged recovered repaired and & resprayed escort Mk 2 years ago

I swear that if you watched it for a while you could see it rusting!

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Considerably less than the horespower of their toys, by the sound of it. :)

Reply to
Chewie

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I begin to wonder exactly _what_ our cars are insured for if negligence voids cover. I mean, if I pull out in front of a car and it hits me, presumably Morethan will pay out to the driver precisely _because_ of my negligence. I bet if a tenacious solicitor were to fight it for long enough because sea damage wasn't specifically excluded from cover, they'd pay up eventually.

Reply to
Chewie

Nah they was just too polite to say

"Sorry fella we dont pay out to stupid people or for stupidity"

Reply to
Tom Burton

I'll assume that the number of brain cells he has is equal to the number of cylinders in his jet ski engine. Sorry, the car is scrap. The salt water will have destroyed all the electrical/electronic parts including the wiring loom. If they haven't failed now they will within a very short time indeed. The upholstery will stink to high heaven, any trader will recognise the smell of wet salvage.

a nice little dip in the sea . . . .

Reply to
Dave

In article , TMC writes

And how is this different from a non sea-damaged Escort?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I think in principle, Chewie is correct. The minimum legal requirement for motor insurance quite literally serves the purpose of covering the driver against their own negligence in respect of third party liabilities; if there is no negligence on the part of a particular driver involved in an RTA (i.e. a genuine accident), then no successful claim against him/ her should be possible. If you have fully comprehensive insurance, then you extend the cover against your own (and other people's) negligence with respect to your own vehicle. Basically, unless there is some very specific wording of the policy document to exclude cover in the scenario described, I would be amazed if you couldn't make the insurance company pay up, through the courts if necessary.

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Toucheth not, for it be a bag of rotting poo.

Seriously, don't even use a metal barge pole for fear of tin worms jumping. The damage is insidious. Every closed panel will have salt in it, and every time it gets even faintly damp, it will begin to rot.

The loom will be shot, and you won't know when it will, not if it will, when it will fail. Fail it will. Ho yuss.

Reply to
Sean at work

Nor other little odds and sods like wheel bearings, CVjoints, steering rack, suspensions joints and parts, brake components (guts, caliper castings, hydrualic bits and of course the handbrake cable). Any seawater in the gerbox perhaps (dont forget the gearbox linkage of course!) .....

Reply to
R. Murphy

"R. Murphy" mumbled:

Quite.

I'd run a mile before taking on a drowned car even if it'd been fresh water.

Reply to
Guy King