Newbie Ice - How To?

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone wouldn`t mind helping out a newbie:)

I`ve got a Ford Escort - 1994.

Im wanting to spruce up my ice as it sounds soooo Crap. As im a Base Freak (Like having loads of base) my current config starts to loose sound and crackle when turned up the slightest.

Ive got a Kenwood V6090R Stereo With Changer, Speakers are standered fit (Yer extremly crap), appart from 2 x 6/92 Sony - 160 Watt 2 Ways wired in Series to the back standered fit ones.

I`ve also got a Kenwood 2 x Channel Amp 300Watt, with nothing connected. I am on a buget, so cheap and cheerful is good, althought i don`t want crap that ain`t going to work.

Can anybody suggest and site for any help/tip`s and DIY advise. Things like Ohms and Indepedicnce Advise aswell as Fitting advise?

Does anybody also know how i fit new speakers to a escort as the escort ones seem to be a special fit.

I would imagine simply changing the speakers would make quite a difference - Would i be correct? - Whats the best way to wire extra speakers in?

Ta Si

Reply to
Dongo!

Sorry I has selected the wrong group!

difference -

Reply to
Dongo!

This may be of interest to you :-)

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

"Dongo!" mumbled:

You need a car radio group...go look for one.

I like women to have a fat arse, too. Can't stand spindly women that make you think of LS Lowry.

Reply to
Guy King

NEVER EVER WIRE SPEAKERS IN SERIES unless you double the Ohm rating of them. This is because the amplifier is designed for a specific impedance. By connecting speakers in series you reduce the impedence. This can lead to thermal runaway within the amplifier and fry it.

For example, if the originals are 4 Ohm, connect two 8 Ohms in series instead.

Also you're getting crackling at high volume because there is an insufficient supply to the head unit/amp. You need to use decent thick cable for the +12V and earth wires.

The only way to wire speakers is one per output.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Conor Turton mumbled:

Eh?

Reply to
Guy King

Unless you've discovered some radically different laws of physics, you are of course *totally wrong*.

If you use the word parallel instead of series, it almost makes sense.

That would give 16 Ohms. See comment above.

One cause, but not the most common one, which is saturation either of the amp or the speakers.

Reply to
Grunff

erm

Conor

You're taking drugs aren't you? if not you should....

Speakers in series INCREASE impedance (R1+R2+R3 etc), speakers in PARALLEL reduce impedance (1/(1/r1 + 1/r2 + 1/r3 etc)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

This is pure bollocks. Wiring speakers in parallel *might* cause the amp grief, but wiring them in series reduces the current drawn from it.

But you shouldn't wire speakers in series for the best sound anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Speakers work the opposite of resistors. Connecting them in parallel increases the IMPEDANCE, connecting them in series halves it.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Sorry one and all..you're right. Goddamned wedding has fried my brain.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Oh you get better and better. Keep it up.

Reply to
John Laird

Think 'someone' issued a cancel on Connor's post, as it hasn't appeared on my server. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Conor Turton mumbled:

They're not true inductors, you know. They're not capacitors, either...unless you happen to have a set of those nice Quad Electrostatics.

Trust me on this...I used to install thousands of them for Rediffusion.

Reply to
Guy King

I did after I realised I was perpetuating my lunacy.

Reply to
Conor Turton

Conor Turton mumbled:

I did a spot of lunacy today...replaced the wrong wheel bearing. Honest, it sounded like it was the nearside...and when you turned towards it to lift the weight off it the sound went away...and when you steered away from it to throw more weight onto it...it got louder.

Put it all back together and it's just as bad. Took off the other hub...and yup...it even feels rough.

Bugger.

Reply to
Guy King

On the Maestro? Me and my brother did exactly the same. Luckily, he had a spares car, so it was swopping the assembly rather than new bearings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman