Seat Leon, Repeated Coil Failures?

My daughter's partner drives a Leon, 2002 vintage I think.

He has encountered a "won't start" situation over Xmas, with a smell of burning, and when I asked daughter a few questions it appears that "last time it was the coil". He knocks up a fair mileage as he works freelance.

Is it a known fault with the model, does anyone know?

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's about the era that VAG had a shedload of coil pack failures.

Reply to
Adrian

go here and do a search - loads of info

Mike

If one's gone the others will follow.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, as others have said. The 1.8T was worst affected, with many, many coil failures, affecting Seat, Skoda, VW, Audi.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

It could be a flat battery if it will not start. A smell of burning could be from a starter motor sticking and the coil shorting out. Just because a car has had a previous fault, it doesn't mean it will have the same one again. It could be anything this time. Why did you ask her questions to relay to the newsgroup if you didn't know what to ask? It would be easier to get one of them on the newsgroup so that direct questions could be asked, then they can go in to the various diagnostics modes and give some readings. No fancy test stuff required. It would tell us exactly what the fault could be at the time. The only other way would be to get one of them on the phone and time it so one of us could be on the newsgroup so you could relay the questions and give the answers! It is easier to direct them to the newsgroup.

Reply to
IanT

You do talk a lot of bollocks don't you?

Well Vag-Coms not fancy but it's the simplest thing that will extract any usefull information from that era Leon

Where we'll all tell you to ignore the local morphing idiot.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Indeed - my 2003 Cupra had one go - ran just on 3 cylinders and the 'check engine' light on (follows me around that one).

SEAT replaced it FOC outside warranty - known fault apparently.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

There was one good thing about Ian T's most recent post, it reminded me that I can use the block sender function

Regards

Tony

Reply to
TMC

In message , TMC writes

Thanks for those two useful pieces of information. ;-)

And for the other advice. Does look like it could be the coil...

Reply to
Gordon H

Well if you're bored you can test it, if you think you're going to keep the car then find someone with/ buy a copy of Vag-Com.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Not my car, belongs to daughter's partner.

Reply to
Gordon H