Shite Old Favorit - odd behaviour

What would make the accelerator pedal dip by itself?

On occasion the SOFavorit (1995 1.3i) revs all by itself to a steady engine speed somewhere between 2500-3000rpm, most often beginning when over-running and for about 20 seconds or so or until I boot it up to 5000-6000 rpm in temper. *When it does this I actually feel the accelerator pedal move itself away from my foot slightly.*

As an additional and probably related symptom, occasionally, if it is only run long enough to get half warmed up and is then switched off, when restarting it will cough once and refuse to start, in a manner which suggests that the ECU is totally denying the engine fuel, until it has cooled down almost completely. It will then spin up gradually until it clears its throat and then runs normally.

All I could find wrong in a 30 minute furkle today was that the plug gaps were a bit on the big side.

I think it might give me a clue if I knew what can move the accelerator pedal all by itself!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

TBH it sound's like it's running with too much fuel, rather than too little. I don't know how these engines regulate idle, but surely not by adjusting the throttle butterfly thus causing the pedal to move? Anyway, does the over-revving occur when hot or cold, or both? I'd suspect coolant temp sensor and/or intake temp sensor. Both can cause the engine to run rich. The O2 sensor is also a possibility, but only if the car appears to be drinking more fuel than usual.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

if i had my foot resting on pedal and turned ign on when cold the pedal always moved a bit. And on felicia too. I cant rmeber if octy did it.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

im guessing at a split vacume pipe, somewhere...I dont hbol for that car anymore

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

I can't imagine it would do that, no. I wondered if it could be something to do with a vacuum somewhere seeing as it usually happens on the overrun.

Hmm...usually when it's about a quarter warm, but it can happen pretty much any time.

Or throttle position sensor, I thought? Trouble is I CBA to spend a fortune on sensors because the fact that the pedal definitely moves when it happens is bugging me and makes me think it's not a sensor at all.

Thanks for the ideas.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Ho yes? Thanks Neil, I'll see if it does that and investigate it further if it does. I never have my foot on the accelerator when I start it coz you're not supposed to but I will now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I've got a Manuel (ole) for it but it doesn't help a lot. I'll give the pipes a better look over as you could be right - maybe one's leaking on the overrun?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

my foot was just resting on it, not actually to move it myself. Also, a festa i had for a bit, endura i, that moved the pedal when cold too.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

"Neil - Usenet" wrote in news:bNyjh.143355$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Does the car use a stepper motor for idle control? If so, could that be the cause of your pedal movement?

Stu

Reply to
Stu