six speed gearboxes

Hello,

I see that some cars are advertised as having six speed gearboxes. I think this would be useful because in my five speed car, the engine revs at 70mph A-road or motorway speeds and I think it would be good for fuel economy if I could change into an extra gear. Is that what the sixth gear is for, or are the gears closer together in a six speed gearbox? Would it still be high revs at 70mph?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Fred gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Both.

Reply to
Adrian

Entirely up to the design. At one time many cars had only three speeds. Didn't mean top gear was the equivalent of third on a modern 5 speed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

agreed, my MX5 sport has a higher top gear than the 5 gear one which does help a bit on the motorway.. I almost over revved the engine once by changing from 5 to 3, more used to a diesel !

Reply to
Simon P

70mph in 6th on my car is 3000rpm.
Reply to
Douglas Payne

70mph in 5th on my car is 3000rpm.
Reply to
johannes

Likewise in my Capri.

70MPH in 6th in my Mondeo TDCi is 2000RPM
Reply to
Conor

But 6 is old hat. Now some cars have 7.

Reply to
johannes

Pointless. Lorries have been going the other way moving from 16 for an artic typically down to 12 now.

Reply to
Conor

Depends. :)

The '04 9-3 SS has a five speed on the 1.8t and a six speed on the 2.0t. Both have the same top gear ratio (30 mph / 1,000 rpm). The six speed's other ratios are shorter and closer together.

Reply to
DervMan

Depends. I only need second and fifth in my manual five speed for forwards travel. I happen to benefit from first, third and fourth too...

Reply to
DervMan

My 1981 Fiat 132 proudly announced: "5 Speed" on the boot lid :-)

Reply to
johannes

60mph in 6th on my car is about 3000rpm.
Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

70 in 5th is 2600 around these parts... Right about where the boost starts to come on strong. Lovely.
Reply to
Adrian

I tend to go 1,2,6 on clear roads. 1,2,4 if I family playing a bit.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of having a six-speed box?

Might as well just have four well-chosen ratios in a lighter, simpler box...

Reply to
Adrian

70 in 4th is 2600 in mine, I've only got 4 gears.
Reply to
rp

Is there a good reason for squashing them closer together? Surely if you had too many gears, too close together, you would spend all your time shifting gears? That would appear to be why other posters have said they miss out gears and jump from 2nd to 4th?

Reply to
Fred

Well, maybe. Comparing the Saab 9-3 1.8t and 2.0t, the 1.8t has the five speed 'box and the 2.0t has the six speed. Both have a top of 30 mph /

1,000 rpm. At first it feels a bit strange changing through to sixth gear rather than through to fifth, but after a few miles it becomes second nature. The 1.8t doesn't like fourth at 30, the 2.0t is happier; sometimes the 1.8t feels a little out of ratios if you're hypermiling it about. 45 is a little too slow for top if you're on any sort of gradient, but fourth feels a little too low a gear. Part of this is because I bought a 1.8t rather than a 2.0t of course, so I feel I'd want the extra ratio. ;-)

If people are block changing then this sounds like it's awkward to go 1, 2,

3, 4, 5, 6. In the 2.0t I found 1, 2, 3, 4 then 6 worked quite well, dropping to 5 for 40 limits and suchlike.
Reply to
DervMan

Just two. One for under 62. The other for over? :-)

To a point, six speed transmissions are more a marketing and carbon dioxide scam than a genuine need. Oh, wait, reducing the carbon footprint is a genuine need. My mistake. :-)

As these days I am invariably short-shifting the 1.8t at ~2,000 rpm every change, having more ratios would help over one of my commuter routes as it's hilly and curvy. Instead there's a hole between ~45 and 50, fourth and fifth gear... but that's just because I'm broke and trying to save fuel.

Reply to
DervMan