Slightly OT: Dash cams

I recommend you look at this site

Mark

I don't have a dash cam but I want to know what I did to have this happen ...

To have what seemed like everyone else in sight drive nose to tail though 3 yellow box junctions this morning.

1st one I was waiting to go straight on at a T junction to the left into a council car park. 2 cars came out of the car park, turned right and stopped in yellow box, 1st was in oncoming lane but 2nd blocked both lanes. The lights changed, road ahead was clear except there was car broadside across it, I pulled off, they then shuffled up and 2nd car pulled across fully into oncoming lane but both were still on yellow box.

Next T junction I turned right into supermarket car park. On leaving this I turned right, I made sure there would be room for me on end of the queue for next set of traffic lights and moved into it. The woman behind made no such check but nose to tailed me and stopped in the yellow box.

Next junction is a cross roads that has right turn lane that can only be accessed once the queue has gone past a pedestrian refuge. I cleared that on the next change of lights and drove up to the junction in the clear filter lane. Where I found 2 oncoming stationary cars in yellow box on end of queue for lights at T junction behind me and a 3rd was in the yellow box on other side of junction, making moves to completely grid lock it and block me from making the right turn into a clear road.

So that was 3 successive junctions on a Sunday morning and at least 6 yellow box violations.

I wouldn't be posting it to the net, I'd be sending it to the police.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Ahh, yes. Informing on fellow citizens. How very DDR.

Yet more evidence of dashcam wankerism.

Reply to
SteveH

Someone creating a deliberate staged accident will get what he want, there is no escape.

Reply to
johannes

If you maintain a safe braking distance then you are safe from this. Staying safely clear of the car in front gives you time to drive much better and gives you margins for error from your own and other people's mistakes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes it does still flow, the stopping distances needed in London are the same as anywhere else, they are based primarily on speed and road conditions. In London particularly is where people do make emergncy stops in order to avoid pedestrians, especially tourists and (much more so in recent years ) cyclists, especially those on Boris bikes.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Unlikely if you the have correct braking distance from the vehicle you are following.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Rubbish.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Same difference, legally speaking, between still photos and videos.

And you think the biggest issue there is the camera?

Sense of proportion required! It is a _vanishingly_ small percentage, and will only fall rapidly once the novelty wears off. Already, the majority of clips that get shared anything past onesy-twosy numbers amongst mates are laughed at because the filmer's usually as bad as the filmee.

Reply to
Adrian

The road in front was clear, I was doing 30mph, in a 30 zone. This guy appeared from behind at a much faster speed and overtook into a closing gap between me and the oncoming car, absolutely nothing I could do. He continued at the same speed after turning into a 20 zone, and made me think "stole car".

Reply to
Gordon H

All you could do was brake. I phoned the Police once about a Cosworth Sierra that overtook on the wrong side of traffic islands (back in the days when cossies were new, rare and expensive), turned out it was an unmarked Police car being driven by an advanced driver.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I don't expect you are the only one but will we have a choice if we wish to continue driving? There may be a point that Insurance companies start to require them or charge more for those do not wish to have one, then it won't be too long before they become an option on the tick box of even quite ordinary cars especially if fleet operators find they can save a few

1000's a year on insurance. Then in the way of things the Police who are already requesting footage from the cameras presently in use will push to have them made compulsory and functioning as it makes another source of evidence gathering and not just for incidents connected with vehicles. I wouldn't trust the buggers who run various agencies such as the Police, DVLA ,Border Force etc not to demand that they can access the camera remotely via the cell phone network at any time they wish claiming it will make their job easier. Sure there are areas of poor coverage ,but enough of the country is in range to access most vehicles somewhere on a Journey.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What about the incidents where the car in front who stages the accident does so by suddenly reversing and closing the gap , Do you expect the victim to maintain a space by quickly engaging reverse as well hoping that all behind can also do the same as they all proceed to back up a slip road in a scene reminiscent of the closing sequence of the Benny Hill Show.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

One of the reasons I hold onto an old car (1990 Alfa 75) is that some of the technology being talked about to track and control our vehicular movements cannot be applied to something that age.

Reply to
SteveH

You can also be robbed of 'safe distace' if someone suddenly overtakes agressively and fills up you 'safe distance'. Of course you will back off, but until that is fully accomplished, you are not in safe distance.

Reply to
johannes

Do you think it it really can't be an add on like the tach in HGV and big vans?

But the EU could ban all old vehicles from any use other than parades. It already defines "historic vehicles" as being very limited use and never used for drive to work.

Unless you get a pre '96 import nearly all cars from Aug '92 have to have a CAT and pass MOT BET/CAT test. There are just a few up to 1994 that don't need a cat, ECU only does closed loop over limited rpm range. High idle BET and CAT test is only done for cars with full range closed loop lambda control.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Is that a non uk law? or enforceable in any meaningful way?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Had he hit the oncoming car he would have filled it with a wreck (or 2).

Of course you will back

He passed at such a speed that he was soon out of sight.

Reply to
Gordon H

I doubt that they will bother. E.g. road pricing has been on the agenda for ages, but obviously not a vote winner. Likewise the ID cards, Likewise the Poll tax.

But annoyingly, we well probably see more micro-charging of everything as the technology becomes available.

On my old mobile, I could play a computer game in the firmware, but in the new one, it quiclky drains talktime through data transmission. Doh!

Reply to
johannes

No, it doesn't.

The nearest there is to an official EU definition of historic vehicle is that they must be at least 30yo, and must be basically original specification. Anything above and beyond that is left to individual countries - which is why, for the UK, it's pre-1960 for MOT exemption, and 40yo for free VED. The UK is going to have to change something to fit in with the "basically original", though, because that currently isn't part of our definition.

If you think you want to do something to ensure the right to continue to use old vehicles, then make sure you're a member of an FBHVC-affiliated club.

Reply to
Adrian