Diagnostics.

Just bought one, as the Range Rover will be here for some time and by the looks of it this item will help with other models.

Anyone got anything similar? I know its not goin to be all bells and whistles but for the money surely tool boxes of the future should have one?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I bought a Bluetooth version that I can use on my windows mobile phone and I plug it into cars at work to test it out.

flaky combination but it reads most stuff and its pocket sized.Only got "obd gauge" thats free, but tried it with my laptop and it works with that.

-- Jon

Reply to
Jon

U sure it works with the Landie interface? Earlier Land Rovers had/have a propriety OBD interface that only works with the corresponding (very) expensive LR diagnostic. e.g. the guaranteed OBD11 kit I bought which looks similar doesn't work wih my 98 Auto 300TDi, YES it does have EDC! All autos did!

Reply to
GbH

Not on the RRC they didn't! Mine hasn't got it.

Reply to
Dougal

All Auto and late manual Disco 300TDis, so I'm told.

Reply to
GbH

Quite probably. My RRC was a pre-launch dealer demonstrator and I think that the auto Disco followed quite some time later

Reply to
Dougal

I use this

for me. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

This is for use on a '03 FFRR , I've seen screen shots of it in use on an 02 same spec on the FullFatRR forum so I'm relatively happy that for the basic settings it'll work.

No where to plug it on the 1990 TD CSW mind....

Its more as a comfort blanket I guess when we are abroad.. so I may be able to limp home a little further than I otherwise would without it. Of course the bonus is I guess that this will undoubtedly work with a great many post

2002 cars and not be tied to one chassis number like some of the expensive kit... accepting it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that some of the expensive kit has.

It appears , much like the P38 , that the FFRR is now being opened up by the homebrew mechanics which suits me as I have to make mine last for quite some time so come.

If it could make the tyre pressure sensor cuircuit on our Laguna spontaneously combust then that would be a bonus.. though I suspect it won't.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Works for me.

I think that looks very pretty but might have the same trouble, it's not the reader, it's the LandRover, that vintage is not OBD11 compliant. I think the only thing that'll talk to it is Testbook.

Reply to
GbH

> Works for me.

Perhaps that should read: only thing it'll talk to it is Testbook!!

Reply to
GbH

I could make the whole lagoona go up in smoke if you want, lol. I absolutely HATE renaults, to the extent I refuse to let one cross the threshold of my workshop - I turn them away, claiming too busy or somesuch! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

We had one of them! It committed suicide in Caen, must've been shame or something, tossed its cambelt!

Reply to
GbH

Don't know why

"Battleaxe" has an 03 1.5D Clio with 170K on the clock

Nowts gone wrong at the moment apart from a couple of rear springs

I'm an overweight sorta guy , proper servicing and cambelts every 50K

Still does over 60 mpg and I don't hang around ;-)))

DieSea

With a Disco for a Tug

Reply to
DieSea

Renaults of any flavour are thankfully quite rare in this part of the world, but I still used to do the same at my workshop.

Reply to
EMB

In the main ours is Ok - ish, it gets us from A to B however the s**te Tyre pressure monitoring system ideally needs to be ripped off, also the handbrake cables made from the finest French Flubber are a constant source of irritation. Other than a failed electric sunfroof dial that randomly opened the sunroof (great when covered in snow!) It has been .. OK with the usual service and repair issues... oh.. I forgot the moody key card that if you get out and switch off in the wrong order gets a bag on. Bleeps until you return to the car then refuses to start until you rediscover the secret sequence to make it come back on side and play ball.... er... apart from that. Its ok as a car... oh and the moody boot hatch button.. don't get me started on that.. Both front and rear have been used as an involuntary bumper car so both ends are new (nowt to do with driver).

It Petrol so not really that economical either. Mrs D wants (not needs.. but hey!) and Disco 3 and to be fair as soon as I can I'll get her one.

Friggin thing!

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

So all in all pretty much up to average!

Reply to
GbH

That's the trouble with fancy cars

Three years before the "Dragon" retired she decided "SHE" wanted a "NEW" car

"I" decided that she would have a "BOG STANDARD" , "bottom of the range" Clio

1.5 DCI

We placed the order and as the delivery date got further and further away the sales director decided to improve the specification at no additional cost

The order got cancelled , I wanted a simple car, for a simple driver ( ME) it eventually came in the spec I wanted

There's been odd bits of trouble but I aint complaining

Now with the Disco 300TDI I seem to have found the "Windermere Triangle" yesterday

Put it down to crap BL keyfobs , but the unlock code for the door is now in my wallet

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

I hate renaults too, but unfortunately I don't have a say in what crosses the threshold. An ex work colleague who has a garage in France says the French round his area are unhappy with renaults too.

-- Jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:52:22 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

It'll probably let you read and maybe reset fault codes, but if I read aright, won't necessarily allow you to interact with things like EAS.

I'm leaning towards Nanocom, at the moment, except they're about to launch a new one, so none available right now. If the new one keeps to their promise to be "about the same price" as the old, then it'll be the chepaest by a long way.

The successor to Rovacom (Faultmate) is about 5-600 quid and will do the full range of stuff on any one vehicle, ID by VIN. Or it can be bought for any vehicle, but costs a fair bit more.

There are quite a lot of OBD-II readers around now, in various forms - I'm guessing any of them can read, and this show you faults. However, the set of fault signals from the EAS on the Disco II were not really conclusive - test mode was needed to spot the fact that one height sensor wasn't counting when the body was moved. That was using a genuine testbook (not mine, obv). From what it looks like, the Nanocom would do pretty much anything including read/write engine mapping (although I imagine you need the right type of ECU for that), and had big warnings in the instruvtions to the effeect that it was norty, and if your car won't run afterwards, don't blame us...

I wouldn't mind the ability to play with the engine mapping, but I would definitely be buying a spare ECU to do it to.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well just an update.

I can't get it to work on the RRIII TD6 (2003), I can only assume that the car won't talke to it. Having done some further research everyone who does use it with a RR of the same year has a petrol v8. Doh!

I did plug it in to the laguna last night and it connected straight away (2001) Petrol.

There was alot of software that came with it so maybe a bargain IF you know it will work for definate.

Sleep learning curve this one. :0( , It'll no doubt end up on the shelf for now as no doubt one day it'll work on a newer vehicle.

Ive tried all the different protocol settings, checked the com port is right and even used two different laptops.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D