sluggush starting - vaux cav 1.7td isuzu

Hi,

My cavalier appears to be getting increasing slow at turning the engine over. Normally I'd suspect the battery but the odd thing is that it seems to turn over faster stone cold than if its been parked for a minute after a decent run.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Could tight valve clearances cause this. I was thinking I ought to check them anyway as the cars done nearly

150k. Maybe a starter problem?

I'm not completely ruling out the battery as I can't check the battery under full load but a) it less than 2 years old b) the electrolyte levels fine and c) voltage indicates its reasonably charged (with headlights lights on).

It actually starts quite quickly i.e. a few revolutions but its just not turning over as fast as previously.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram

Last time I had it where it'd turn over slowly when warm, it was the starter motor at fault.

Reply to
Conor

Check and clean the starter cables and earth straps. If they're a bit dodgy, they can get worse as they warm and things expand.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I dont quite get your problem, poor hot starting or poor cold starting?

If sluggish cranking when hot- starter is knackered, or you have a high resistance in the feed cables somewhere, more likely the former.

If it cranks fine when cold but doesnt catch, tight valve clearances.- the Isuzu is very common for this.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..