Smoke-brakes/Fan belt-Help

Uk 1.8 TDDI Focus- When I do a 20-30 mile motorway run- stop Smoke coming out of the front disc??- smells of rubber.Lasts a few secs ands goes Had new pads fitted and disc- same problem. Rang garage they said it could be fan belt. Any ideas ??

Reply to
sndevereux

Eh..!!!! fan belt causing smoke to come out of brake discs .??? What does your nose tell you as to where it is coming from .?? Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

See if you went to the toilet for a shit and blood came out your ass...would you believe the doctor if he said it was because you cut your finger?

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Reply to
Stewart Devereux

Pop the bonnet and take a look around (in good light). Look for hoses, pipes and cables with excessive dark patches that might indicate oil contamination. If there was an oil leak it could possibly be that it is leaking onto the exhaust manifold and the heat is causing it to burn off, although I'd expect such smoke to come from just under the bonnet @ the radiator grille than at the wheel arch.

How old is the car? If it's still under warranty I'd get it back to the dealer for a prompt checkup as smoke isn't a good thing. If it's not, then I would recommend paying the diagnostic fee charged by Ford to find out what the problem is...unless you can provide detailed photographs of your engine bay, and all cabling and pipework surrounding it so we can take a look.

Smoke = bad. If it's the brakes ceasing, then you have a potential death trap ready to pull you off the road. If it's oil leaking, you have a potentially shagged engine. Check the oil level and make sure it's within specified levels, make a note of the level and take note of the coolant level. If either drops significantly within the next week or so I'd get worried.

To be honest though, for the sake of your car, safety and the safety of others..I'd get it checked pretty sharpish by a compentant mechanic!

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man