Smoke off new brakes ?

Today had a new set of front discs and pads fitted to my Ford Focus 1.8 TDDI at national Tyres. Got home 40 miles, and smoke coming from both sets of front discs/pads . Took about 5 mins to stop. Discs slightly black. Would this be normal with new pads - what caused it ?or should I worry and take them back and ask for replacements?? Help?

-- Regards, Stu Devereux. Fax no. 08701339568 (Outside UK fax 448701339568) E-mail. snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Stewart Devereux

It's certainly not normal. Smoke suggests they have been binding; blackened discs agrres that they've been overheating (which in itself is likely to warp the discs). Either they are the wrong pads, or they've somehow been fitted wrongly (difficult IMO as a monkey could change disc pads correctly in minutes), or you have another problem such as a siezed calliper, which in itself should have been detected as they were wound back. Discs & pads is an easy job - I just did the rears on the Previa which has handbrake shoes as well inside a drum in the centre on the disc. The whole lot took under two hours. Something's wrong. Ask some searching questions at the garage.

Reply to
Chris Bolus