Smoking Mondeo Turbo Diesel 1998

My Mondeo TD occasionally throws out a cloud of black smoke on acceleration.

I`ve been told that it might be the injectors ( They`ve done 60k)

As this is the 1st diesel I`ve ever owned , how hard/awkward/easy is it to change the injectors ( and heaters ?) and what sort of cost are they?

Could anything else be causing this smoke?

TIA

Reply to
Psfamilyhistory

"They all do that, Sir". Or at least all the ones that I have followed do.

Sounds unlikely to me, if that 60k is genuine.

Dunno. Sorry.

Sooting is caused by too much fuel being injected for the amount of air available to burn it in. A blocked-up air filter will thus be one potential cause, as it will restrict the flow of air into the engine.

If the black smoke is bothering you (or likely to cause an MOT fail), then one thing to try is a clean air filter then an "Italian tune up".

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

acceleration.

I changed the injectors on a Fiesta with this engine and it was very easy. I don't know if the Mondeo installation makes it more difficult.

In fact I removed the injectors, took them to my local Lucas Diesel Centre who reconditioned them in a couple of hours and then I refitted them with new washers, rubber tubing and fuel filter. Draper make a special injector socket to remove them, and you should to torque them back in, although I had to nip a couple of mine up a bit as they were weeping. Glow plugs are also easy in the Fiesta installation.

Smoke was reduced and the fuel economy improved dramatically. The Fiesta had done 135,000 miles. Yours *should* be okay.

At 60,000 miles I would try a dose of injector cleaner first, and then a shot of Millers Diesel Plus with every re-fuelling. Check your air filter is clean, and the air intakes all clear. As someone else has pointed out, if you drive it gently, a good thrash will help as they do tend to soot up if pootled for too long.

A fuelling or turbo problem can also cause smoke. All this presumes that servicing is up to date.

Reply to
Doctor D

Wots an italian tune up?

Reply to
Arthur Suggitt

The message from snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk (Arthur Suggitt) contains these words:

Get it well warmed up, then thrash the arse off it for an hour. Much as you'd expect to happen if you lent it to a teenaged son.

Reply to
Guy King

Arthur Suggitt ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

See your right foot? Bury it in the carpet. Keep it there. Rag the living crap out of the car.

Reply to
Adrian

Except the bugger wouldn't wait for it to warm up!

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

Belated thanks for the replies.

Do you know what servicing is involved with the Turbo Diesel ?

Reply to
Psfamilyhistory