Shogun 2.5 TD. Not running right after new cylinder head

After having a snapped valve, I?ve had to replace the cylinder head and one piston on my 20 year old Shogun 2.5 tubo diesel.

After putting it all back together the engine runs, but not well. There is a rythmic knocking sound, as though two parts are hitting each other, but only under high revs or a bit of a load. Also there is a lot of white smoke from the exhaust.

I?m not a nvice at this sort of job, though it is a few years since I has a cylinder head of an engine, but it is my first diesel so I may be missing something obvious.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
essexmark

"essexmark" schreef in bericht news:1203860 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com...

Snapped valve, what reason? (timingbelt skipped a notch or broke?) Changed the other valves? If not where they straight?

White smoke, you are burning coolant. Light blue smoke, you are not burning all the diesel. Black smoke, you are not getting enough air.

Knocking sound, check the timingbelt. Did you replace all the bearings from the driveshaft as well? No damage to the rockers? Was it a new cylinder head or a refurbished one? Here in The Netherlands we do not refurbish those cylinder heads anymore due to severe problems. I had one in 1999 but after 3months the forchambers (where the injectors inject the fuel) were turning and some fell out. Result one engine dead, driveshafts bent and a few pistons with holes in it. One new engine at cost for the refurbish-company as they gave 1 year warranty. Now we can get new cylinderheads only.

Reply to
Henk

The valve snapped without warning as I was driving. When I stripped it all out, the timing belt looked to be reasonably new. From that I surmise that the belt had failed at some time in the past, causing the piston to hit the valve, cracking the stem but not breaking it. When the valve did snap the loose valve head punched a hole in both the cylinder head and the piston.

The cylinder head I fitted was completely new with valves, rockers etc. I also fitted new bolts and belts.

"Henk" wrote: > "essexmark" schreef in bericht > news:1203860 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com... > > After having a snapped valve, I've had to replace the > cylinder head > > and one piston on my 20 year old Shogun 2.5 tubo diesel. > >

Reply to
essexmark