Some advice for a novice regarding a Ford Fiesta, please

Hi there folks.

I was wondering if I may tap some of the knowledgeable heads on the group regarding my car, please.

I'm no mechanic, but I've a general knowledge of how things work. However, what I wanted to ask is:

I have a 1991 Ford Fiesta 1.1. It has 59,000 miles on the clock (i've had it 2 years and done about 7,000 of i)t. Had needed about £60 of welding on the frames to get through the MOT - nothing else mechanical. Other rust areas known on this type are not bad at all compared to other examples seen - I've filled some areas and sealed bits that are out of sight. Anyway, on the next MOT / service, is it worth getting the timing belt renewed, or is the car likely to succumb to rust before that feasible becomes an issue? I know after 60,000 most people get it donwe

Any other advice on prolonging its life welcome

Yours, NIV

Reply to
Niven

No. Mainly because it hasn't got one. The chain will start to rattle about 70k but I've never known one break and that's on 120+k examples.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong
185,000 on my one before I let it go. Chains are great no messing about changing cam belts. The engine will go on and on and on. The car will drop to bits long before the engine gives up. Shame same can't be said of Fords modern engines.
Reply to
david.cawkwell

Cheers for that...I did mean chain by the way...just the wrong choice of word.

Reply to
Niven