spark plug broke

Hi all,

I thought Id give my car a service since its been over 10000 miles since the last one. On changing the spark plugs, I heard a cracking noise as I was removing one of them. When I had pulled it out, I inspected it, and a piece of the porcelain was chipped off. I inspected the cylinder hole and could not see it down there. I assume it fell further down.

Have I screwed up majorly?. Will that piece of plug damage the engine?. I havent fired the car up again yet.

Please advise!.

TIA:)

Reply to
billybronco

I think it's unlikely the broken piece fell into the spark plug hole-- the plug was in the hole when the porcelain broke. If you were using a spark plug socket with a neoprene insert, it definitely didn't fall in.

If you can view down the hole, shine a small flashlight in and see what you can see...

Edw.

Reply to
Special Ed

As Edw says, it's unlikely. BUT, and it's a big BUT, if it has fallen down the hole it WILL do a lot of damage to the bore and piston. See if you can borrow an Borescope locally. So you can check to if a piece has fallen inside. If it has, then the head will have to come off.

Fatsod

Reply to
FatSod

Why take the head off, get a vac with a small nozzle down the plug hole .

Regards

Reply to
Cubzilla

Good Idea, then recheck with borescope

Reply to
FatSod

I'd try lots of things before removing the head. A pearl catcher would be first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As long as the threaded part is removed and the section of porcelain with the center electrode came out you should be in good shape.

If the engine is of a design with the plugs completely vertical you should be able to get some sort of flashlight in there.

In the US Lisle makes a couple of slim ones.

35900
and

32250

> Hi all,

Reply to
Sano

The message from "Cubzilla" contains these words:

Or blutak on a stick, which has got me out of a similar situation.

Reply to
Guy King

The hole might be a bit on the small side for someone to go diving into.

Reply to
Brian H¹©

There's a necklace joke in there somewhere ;-)

Reply to
Scrote