spray gun problems

I just got a new SIP touch up gun which worked quite well first time I used it. After doing the job I duly stripped it down to clean it and found the fluid nozzle had been cemented on during assembly and quite hard to remove. I unbolted it and cleaned it but now with thinners only in the cup it spits unevenly. I've done this numerous times.

Am I expected to cement the nozzle back on again, and if the gun is blocked how do I unclog the very fine passages?.

That's not all though. I bought the gun because I also have a little airbrush that's not working right either. It also started spitting and now the air flow is going into cup and bubbles are coming out of the fluid. It's not sucking up the thinners at all. I guess this must be blocked but I can't see where. I have incidentally ordered new O rings for this.

I've checked the water trap and hosing, which seems normal. Any ideas?

Reply to
andyv

sounds like you have used unstrained paint and some lumps are in the guns

Reply to
Mrcheerful

When you say you stripped it down, did you completely remove the needle and clean it?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yes. In each case I took the needle out first, and then took the two parts off the front - the air cap and the fluid nozzle, rinsed them all off, reassembled and then ran some clean thinners through. It's at this point it's not working right. I've not tried any more paint yet.

I do think MrC may have a point about straining the paint though.

I've left the main bits soaking since this morning so will give them another go this evening. If that fails I may have to resort to something stronger like paint stripper, unless you think otherwise.

Reply to
andyv

Can't do any harm, but if you're not getting a good spray pattern with clean thinners, clean paint isn't likely to make the problem go away.

The only times I've had problems, cleaning the needle or increasing the air pressure sorted it out (I forgot to switch the compressor back on once after a break, so it was running on its reserve - with similar results).

Shouldn't be necessary, should it?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Whatever you do, don't put stripper in your spraygun. You will never=20 ever get it clean again. If you have a buildup of paint which won't come=20 off, unlikely after one or two uses, then get some proper gun cleaner=20 and use that. =20 It sounds as though you have an air leak round the paint nozzle seat=20 that is blowing back. Either that or the aircap is not seating far=20 enough back and is in front of the paint nozzle.

Reply to
prb

This is great advice prb. I'm glad I didn't resort to paint stripper.

It occurred to me that when I took the nozzle off it was screwed up extra tight. I've now gone and torqued it back up equally hard and it's working again. The machining doesn't look terribly good, but I do seem to now have a good seal.

Reply to
andyv