The wicked ways of Waxoyl...

So I've got the tank off, and, despite gagging from the diesel fumes, it seems like an hours detour is in order, to Waxoyl those hard to reach bits.

Off to the parts shop. Yikes! that spray gun is every bit the same as I remember it from my teenage years (trying to get Waxoyl inside motorcycle frames, etc.). Still, if they're still selling it, it must have been improved. Perhaps it now works...

Get the kit home, duly warm can in hot water - all goes nice and runny. This'll work a treat. Distant memory of having nothing but trouble priming the thing, so decide to prime it before crawling under. Primes fine. Crawl under. Squirter and hoses are now solid. Give up in disgust for the day.

Overnight warm up and empty hoses, rinse with white spirit. All functional again (supposedly). Decide I was doing three things wrong: not adding white spirit to thin it, not keeping can in hot water bath, priming when I shouldn't. Resolve to do all differently next morning.

Tweet tweet! The dawn chorus in Henleaze. Fill bucket, and immerse freshly thinned can - solid becomes liquid. Gingerly fit hose to top of can and carry assemblage to back of 110. Crawl under, being careful not to (a) splash hot water on overalls, (b) squeeze trigger by mistake, (c) lose any of the hose bits, which seem intent on self-disassembly.

The moment of truth. Insert hose in chassis. Squeeze trigger. Fluid does indeed seem to flow. squeeze again, and again. Fourth squeeze, pipe goes solid.

[now for the REALLY stupid bit] In desperation, whip off tube and replace with normal nozzle - if we can't do the insides, at least... Aim squirter at chassis. Whomp! Normal nozzle leaves squirter with (small) sonic boom and trail of nearly solid Waxoyl. Heads straight for large hole in chassis which I'd been using to feed pipe down. Disappears into innards.

Retire to house to dry off (kicked bucket trying to escape and got soaked in hot water). Almost resolve never to try this again, but thought I'd ask here first...

What's the secret (or is Waxoyl just as dreadful as it was 30 years ago)?

Regards,

Simonm. (PS: I find a caving helmet is excellent for this - it looks daft, but it's a good place for the lamp, and doesn't hurt if you bang your head).

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Thanks Simon, you've cheered up my evening!

Get Chris Parkinson to do it!

Reply to
David French

in article snipped-for-privacy@muircom.demon.co.uk, SpamTrapSeeSig at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk wrote on 16/2/04 8:07 pm:

I don't know if Waxoyl was as bad 30 years ago as it is today cos I'd have been 3 years old, but your post did make me laugh. Bruce says its very much the same from what he remembers which is why after attempting the waxoyl treatment once on the Range Rover last summer, the tin has found a home on the floor behind a large bin of useless junk that it missed when he threw it there.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Pride and joy sat on axle stands in the garage awaiting treatment from waxoyl (quite a tidy 90). Can sat in a saucepan of hot water - heat from camping gas stove. Splash of waxoyl on bench catches on fire, sets the can alight and all hell lets loose - doesn't waxoyl burn well........ No hesitation, it was one of those fire extinguisher moments - ripped from wall, tore safety clip and squeezed handles................nothing happens..........not even a puff of powder.............*~*~~**!!!! The can/waxoyl then decides to explode and a mushroom cloud of flame and smoke rolls along the inside of my garage roof, over my head and beyond. I'm panicking by this time, my 2nd wife is still sat on axle stands,with no tyres and I'm considering trying to drive her off the stands and through the closed garage door behind her. In desperation (funny that with the above going on) I grab a pair of x-navy fire proof overalls and beat the flames out on the bench - then lay the overalls over the can like you do with a chip pan fire - It goes out!!!!!!!!

5 minutes later I wander up to the house with a pounding heart and put the kettle on.

Not waxoyl her since!

Lee

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

I never have problems. 50/50 Waxoyl and white spirit, in the shultz gun and turn the compressor on.

If you're using one of those flaming useless cans with a stirrup pump that screws into it, forget it.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

This is a great thread. I never knew waxoyl could be so much fun.

Reply to
David French

What are you doing wrong? Trying to Waxoyl in winter, that's what. That kit they sell you will work, but only on a really warm day. Put it away and get it out again during the next heatwave.

Reply to
David Bexhall

LEE ARGYLE posted ...

Similar story to a friends .. except it was that chain grease you used to boil to rejuvenate motorcycle chains .. The oil set alight somehow, the fire extinguisher didn't work, so he threw it at the can of hot oil, which fell over, off the primus stove he was heating it over, and promptly spread all over the garage floor.

Of course, with about 20 mates sat outside chillin' with a few beers he had plenty help at hand ... It was just a pity we were all pissing ourselves laughing so much that he burnt one door off the garage before anyone threw a beer can at it .. an empty beer can .. followed by a bucket of water .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

|| LEE ARGYLE posted ... || ||| Pride and joy sat on axle stands in the garage awaiting treatment ||| from waxoyl (quite a tidy 90). Can sat in a saucepan of hot water - ||| heat from camping gas stove. Splash of waxoyl on bench catches on ||| fire, sets the can alight and all hell lets loose - doesn't waxoyl ||| burn well........ ||| No hesitation, it was one of those fire extinguisher moments - ||| ripped from wall, tore safety clip and squeezed ||| handles................nothing happens..........not even a puff of ||| powder.............*~*~~**!!!! || || Similar story to a friends .. except it was that chain grease you || used to boil to rejuvenate motorcycle chains .. The oil set alight || somehow, the fire extinguisher didn't work, so he threw it at the || can of hot oil, which fell over, off the primus stove he was heating || it over, and promptly spread all over the garage floor. || || Of course, with about 20 mates sat outside chillin' with a few beers || he had plenty help at hand ... It was just a pity we were all || pissing ourselves laughing so much that he burnt one door off the || garage before anyone threw a beer can at it .. an empty beer can .. || followed by a bucket of water .. ;) || || -- || Paul

If you were pissing yourselves outside the garage, why didn't you just point inside? Or does urine have the same effect on oil fires that water does?

;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I found it worked but it was one of the hottest days of the year, perhaps that's the secret.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

in article c0riub$4jl$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote on 16/2/04 11:15 pm:

I should imagine it does and probably smells absolutely vile.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Or come and see me! :-)

Cheers Chris

Chris Parkinson

I remember using Waxoyl on my wife's mini(Car not skirt!) a few years ago. Everything was going fine until I realised that I seemed to be using a lot of Waxoyl and looked inside. Yes, the pressure had forced out a rubber bung in the top of the section and I had been happily pumping Waxoyl into the car's interior!!! Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

In article , John Stokes writes

Thanks to everyone who replied - glad I made you smile. You've given me an excellent excuse to avoid doing any more until the summer, which in itself is probably worth the ignominy! The interesting bit will be if I find that nozzle then, entombed in Waxoyl...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Yep, works for me everytime too.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Hmm, slow decay due to rust does have some merits by the sound of things.

Reply to
Adrian Chapman

In article , Adrian Chapman writes

Did you mean me, or the Land Rover?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Don't try in winter, wait till the hottest summer day and then it might stay reasonably liquid.

I haven't put the notorios gunge anywhere near my landie yet as there is enough oil under there right now regularly renewing itself by all accounts.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:34:32 -0000, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

mine does that. When it came to MOT time, he couldn't tell if the front damper was buggered, 'cos of the amount of oil everywhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles