Squeak under and right of engine when in neutral. Vw polo GL 1999

Hi. A few days ago I noticed a squeaking noise below the engine to the right when I start my car. The squeaking is not constant but comes in

2 second bursts. It is more noticable when I first start the car and doesn't happen when I am driving. It sounds like some kind of belt slipping. Does anyone know what is making the noise and how I could fix it? Thanks for any help. Edwin
Reply to
eq

If it's RH side while sat in the seat, then I'd guess either the alternator or PAS belt- they may be one and the same. Get a new belt and fit it, and check the tension. In fact, check the tension first, but I'll bet the belt wants replacing.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Sorry I didn't make it clear, it is to the right if you are looking into the bonnet. I stuck my head in and it seemed like the squeaking wasn't coming from the alternator but the other side. Thanks for your reply, I will just go and double check it's not the alternator belt.

Reply to
eq

eq laid this down on his screen :

If it is only while you are cranking the engine over and shortly after, then my vote goes with a dry bush or bearing on the starter motor.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield