Signs of a dying transmission

What are the symptoms of a dying transmission?

Reply to
Kevin

vehicle won't move.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I was thinking of more subtle signs that a problem is developing!

Reply to
Kevin

Late shifts. Hard early shifts. Morning sickness ie put it in gear first time cold and it hesitates befiore it engages. harsh engagement. Long shifts ie engines seems to rev like a clutch slipping when it shifts. Fluid is dark and smells burnt.. Lurches when you come to a stop like forgetting to disengage the clutch on a stick.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Manual or auto?

If auto then one good check is the fluid. If it's brown and smells burnt you've got problems. Have a lube place change it and check it in a week. If it's back to the same color and smell start looking for a rebuilt.

Manual trannys start to make lots of noise, they're hard or impossible to shift because of failed syncros. But if you keep up on the lube level, you'll see a manual go 2,3 hundred thou.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
Kevin

If the fluid is pink and doesn't smell burnt you may not have a serious issue with the transmission. From what you describe it could be an issue with the OD and even the engine itself especially when you say you lose power. Really could be a hand full of things but it is encouraging that the tranny fluid isn't burnt up. Take it to a decent mechanic and pay for a diagnostic.

Reply to
Meat Plow

change your filter may help. we had a jeep that would act up.we could change the filter and be good for a year or so,then it would act up again.As long as we changed the filter regularly everything was fine.

Reply to
digitalmaster

I'm taking the truck to the dealership on Friday for a road test and diagnostic. I'm hoping for an easy fix but if I have to replace it, it may be worth the peace of mind!

Reply to
Kevin