Squeaking

Helloooooooo everyone!

My XR2 (MkII) has a new squeak... I opened the bonnet and im pretty sure its coming from the drivebelt on the alternator. Haynes manual says check the belt tension is "as specified" and it appears to be. My question.... Can the squeak be caused by anything other than incorrect tension? If so, can I just spray some WD40 around the place (might wanna obviously try and avoid getting it inside the alternator!)

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers Max

Reply to
Max Hamlet

The message from "Max Hamlet" contains these words:

NO!

The belt relies on friction to do its job. Spray lubricant on it and you're asking for trouble.

Having said that, some modern belts - serpentine belts which use the back of the belt as well as the front sometimes make a squishyswishing sound as they go round and a very light spray on the back of the belt can help cure this.

Reply to
Guy King

Dont you worry yourself anymore! :) hehe! The squeak has gone, not sure where tho! Guess I must have accidentally run over an old granny and she got wedged in the wheel arch or something.... !

Reply to
Max Hamlet

A little talc on the inside of the belt can help here if the squeak comes back - can also make a nice smell in the engine bay...

Reply to
Mark W

Will bear that in mind!! Although I quite like the smell of my car, i havent come across it ever before except in other XR2's. Nice smell of old ford combined with petrol, kinda hard to explain but totally unique! Love it!

Reply to
Max Hamlet

If the squeak comes back, throw some water on the belt. If that stops the squeak at least you know where it was coming from. Then you may need to change the belt.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham