Clutch Prices

Hi - Clutch is going in my car.Just wondering what I should be paying to have it done.1990 Escort 1.3. What do people think of places like Mr.Clutch etc,are they as good as garages?

Thanks,

Trevor P.

Reply to
Trevor P.

In message , Trevor P. writes

They tend to be cheap labour which is fine but they also tend to use cheap pattern and reconditioned clutch plates which are not so good. It might be a good idea to get a quote from an independent garage and either specify the use of a genuine Ford clutch or even supply the clutch yourself.

Also get a quote from a proper Ford dealer to put your other quotes into perspective.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from "Trevor P." contains these words:

Make sure they're quoting for (and actually fit) a three part clutch kit (friction plate, cover and bearing) rather than just the friction bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Think OEM ford clutch might be a LUK, which you might get cheaper at a motor factors without the Ford part no. sticker on it.

Got a cylinder head gasket as a factors own brand part, Powertrain or similar, made by Payen same as VX original but 20% of price.

Or just a good laugh ;-)

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I would quote £150 all in (good quality pattern 3 part clutch kit) fitted. £30 quid more for genuine ford clutch. Same day service.

mrcheerful (essex)

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks all, appreciated.

Trevor P.

Reply to
Trevor P.

I would say avoid them.

My experience:

Overfilling of car with shared engine oil / gearbox oil after changing clutch Incorrect final adjustment of gear linkages Suspected non replacement of 3 part clutch - only friction plate The notorious phone call: sorry mate we've discovered your flywheel is damaged / marked / scuffed - we need to get the grinder to it - it'll cost an extra £35. (happened to me three times back when I was a wee boy and knew no better).

Reply to
DocDelete

Whats the problem? most give a one year warranty.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I remember when these three parts were called the 'pressure plate' the 'driven plate' the 'release bearing'

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The message from "Bill" contains these words:

Sometimes still are.

Reply to
Guy King