Sticking headlight washers

Hello,

I've got a set of headlight washers on my Laguna II which operate by a pair of jets mounted on 'stalks' in the front bumper, and the stalks move up in front of the lights when the washers are squirted.

The problem I've got is that when I squirt the washers, one of the jets pop up on its stalk as it should do, but then doesn't pop back down again into the bumper. Looks bloody stupid when you're driving around with the washer sticking out of the bumper!

It seems to be some sort of hydraulic system that pushes the jet up, but it's sticking when it reaches the top. I've tried lubricating it with WD40, and even a bit of Vaseline on the rod, but to no avail.

Any tips? Can it be fixed without getting behind the bumper? (there's a huge splash shield I'd have to remove to do this - a job I'd prefer to avoid)

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs (Created_Just_To_Register_With_Google snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No experience of a 'gooner, but the ones on my XM are virtually identical in theory.

Yep, I think you could term "water pressure" a "hydraulic system"...

All that happens is that the pressure in the washer pipe shoves the jet up before the water comes out the nozzle. It's very low tech...

Hmmm. That'd be your best bet.

On the XM, there's a plastic cover plate that clips on, then the main part of the moving jet clips in with a small metal clip to hold it. The body screws to the bumper through two torx bits visible once you lift the jet and accessible once you unclip the moving jet. I'd expect the 'gooner to be similar.

IIWY, I'd start by lifting the sticking jet up as far as possible, get "too much" vaseline in there, then manually move it up and down a few times to spread the vaseline about as much as possible.

Reply to
Adrian