Stolen motorhome

Mate has just had his brand new camper van stolen from outside his house. Luckily, it has a tracker, and they located it about 3 miles away. Lots of
damage done to the electrics and so on. But they obviously managed to drive it away, without the keys. So much for immobilisers.
Would a crook lock thingie or wheel clamp have made any difference in these days of battery angle grinders?
--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Interesting, the brand new £60,000 camper parked at the end of the cul-de-sac has gone today.
On 23/08/2019 11:55, Andrew wrote:

Or they just lifted up te front and towed it

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a

Then why do all the damage to the electrics?

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

are the owners on holiday?
On 23/08/2019 11:55, Andrew wrote:

was it down a dirt track with overhead services and dodgy drainage in kent... ?
On 23/08/2019 18:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

No it was round the corner but will be at a lawnmower race meeting this weekend just ending.

The Thatcham approved steering wheel 'Disc-lock' certainly will slow them down a lot, and is pretty well protected against an angle grinder. Coupled with an alarm with pager it will keep away most thieves.
I would not bother with the old krooklok style locks as they are very easy to remove and make an ideal tool to break the ign. steering lock.
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 12:25:15 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

Except the ones with a low loader and a crane.
On 23/08/2019 12:45, Jethro_uk wrote:

Exactly, anything can be stolen, thieves in Russia stole a bridge a few weeks ago. But in general thieves are deterred by anything that slows them down, makes a noise or attracts attention in any other way.
On 23/08/2019 12:54, MrCheerful wrote:

If you have ever had the misfortune to watch 'overhaulin' you will have been struck by how easy it is and how little attention is paid to people in hi vis loading a stolen vehicle onto a tow truck.
Everyone assumes its official or the owner ordered it

Certainly, but that is not a common method of theft, in the OP case a decent steering lock and an alarm would have been very likely to have deterred the theft.
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 14:19:47 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

In a "one of many" scenario.
Some thefts are targetted. Especially for more unique or rare objects.

But a lot more attention is paid if the alarm is howling its head off at the time. And the perps obviously need a lot more hardware than just a battery angle grinder too.
Add a decent tracker that uses the same approach as the iphone find my phone system and there is fuck all chance of the crims being able to pull it off successfully.

Doesn’t matter what they assume with the tracking.

A hi-vis waistcoat and clipboard, especially if you're also smartly dressed, will get you into a surprising number of places if you're brazen enough to try it.
--
Steve H

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 12:54:24 +0100, MrCheerful wrote:

Only if there's an easier option. At some point if there isn't, and they want it, they will get it. Snipping off fingers if necessary.

That's the one I was thinking of. Neighbour uses one on their replacement Disco. ;-) Thanks. Wasn't sure how angle grinder proof it was.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

I have a couple of them and took a good look at how an angle grinder could be used, it would certainly be quite a few cuts and plenty of levering to get one off, hence the Thatcham certification

That might well depend on whether there were any more vulnerable camper vans, or equivalent targets around for the thieves to steal instead.
That then depends on how wide an area the thieves case before deciding on which one to nick. Your mate's might have been identified as a target days or weeks ago as a result of the thieves scanning a wide area.
Although from the damage you describe, and the fact that it was recovered might suggest its not only canper vans they target
If the van's left standing for any length of time then its advisable to disconnect the battery in any case. So no driving away. Although a visible deterrent clamp or crooklock would help. They'd probably think twice about ransacking a van outside somebodies house (potentially) because of the noise and their being caught bang to rights inside the van.
michael adams

I'd guess the fact it is only a month or so old was a factor.

They took it to a spot some three miles away. Police said they left there to see if it was being tracked. If it was still there a couple of days later, they'd move it on.

Anything they can sell on, I'd guess. Unlikely to be for their own use.

The very fact it was parked close by meant the theft was discovered quickly. Noticed it missing from the bedroom window at about midnight.
--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*