Stolen motorhome

Our campervan doesn't have an alarm - it may only be worth £15k or so today, but the list price of a new equivalent is well over £60k in Japan today. It only has a transponder immobiliser, no alarm.

Reply to
Steve H

If new, I would expect most insurance companies to expect you to have an alarm fitted. Some makes are considered more vulnerable and extra precautions are required. 70k seems to be the trigger point for a tracker unless the base vehicle or, if an A class, the locks etc are considered to be a better class. 80k and I would be surprised if a tracker wasn?t expected.

Many people have additional locks fitted to the habitation doors. Habitation doors vary, the better ones have multi-point locks. The poorer ones have a simple lock near the centre.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Vehicle alarms don't go off 'for ages' Unlike house ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not sure my neighbours would agree after the episode with a damp Porsche Boxster and a dodgy battery.

You'd just be getting back to sleep and it would go off again. And again. And again.

Reply to
Steve H

I was kept awake several nights running by a faulty alarm on a KA, I did not know who owned it, so I put a note on the windscreen saying 'Please get the alarm looked at, as it is going off during the night' nothing else, the owner's husband (I later found out) took offence to this very polite note and apparently muttered all sorts of foulness against me (never came to anything, and they did get the alarm fixed.) quite bizarre behaviour, I thought.

Reply to
MrCheerful

House ones shouldn?t either but sometimes the timer doesn?t work. Ditto car alarms.

I think domestic alarms are supposed to cut out after 20 mins but heaven knows how many older designs there are still in service.

Reply to
Brian Reay

A cousin of my wife's, designed, built and installed his own alarm system and then went on holiday. The non-stop bell was remembered in the village for many years - it even got a mention at his funeal !

Reply to
charles

No it was round the corner but will be at a lawnmower race meeting this weekend just ending.

Reply to
Andrew

Wby on earth would anyone want to steal one of those ?

Reply to
Andrew

Perhaps a cat jumped on it .......

Reply to
charles

I put mine in about thirty years ago and that had an adjustable timer set to max is 20 minutes only.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I was tempted, just to move it to a layby and torch it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

They are called "containers" .... all to commonly used by motorbike stealing scrotes.

Reply to
Kellerman