Strange 'tinkling' rattle on Ford Ka

I realise this is probably an overlong and daft question but I just wondered if anyone on the forum had any ideas. My friend's Ford Ka has an annoying 'tinkling' rattle. It sounds very much like a length of unsupported brake pipe vibrating against the body for a few seconds whenever the car accelerates away or labours momentarily when changing down going up a hill. It doesn't seem to occur when going over bumps and it seems to emanate from the front of the car around the nearside sill area. I have a fair bit of diy automotive experience and I've inspected underneath the car repeatedly and checked all pipework, suspension exhaust and everything else for tightness or narrow gaps and all seems ok. I just cannot see what else it could be. However, the car is nearly 10 years old - is it possible there is some sort of bracing strut or such within the sill that could have partially rotted or come adrift that could produce such a noise? Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
Pinman

The engine is pinking.

Reply to
Dave Baker

pinking OR the cat is breaking up. try running it on some good fuel (like bp ultimate or any branded fuel other than supermarket stuff) for a tank or two. if it is the cat then either remove the loose block of cat stuff or replace the whole thing

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Where's Peter when you need him?

Reply to