Stripped Bolts

I am looking for a solution to a problem I am having. All 4 bolts on the water pump pully on my 93 chevy corsica are stripped. the metal seems to be pretty soft and so far there has been no possible way for me to spin them off. Tomorrow I am going to try to torch them but I'm not sure how this is going to work. It's in a pretty tight spot. Since it's in a tight spot there is no possible way I can drill them out. What are some of my other possible options. What ideas do you have? perhaps you have tried something in the past that worked. Any advice that you have will be helpful. Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'm confused. If bolts are stripped, they'll be easy to remove. Just pull as you turn. Then all you'll have to do is fix the threads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Perhaps he means the bolt heads are rounded through his own efforts to get the bolts out. If that's the case and there's enough room, those spring loaded self-adjusting open ended spanners can grip a rounded bolt head no problem. In fact they grip so well they'll chew the head off if it doesn't turn. It may also be worth using heat for a while before starting.

Reply to
Steve B

My understanding of your problem is that the nuts on the studs turn without coming off. Correct? If so, get hold of them with moles and put a lever of some sort under the mole and turn the latter anticlockwise putting pressure to the lever to force the nut to come off its thread.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

"Mike G" mumbled:

Or MIG a nut onto the end. You can often get a MIG torch into the tiniest of spaces.

Still no idea what a Chevy Corsica is....perhaps it's the one the Mafia drive around in.

Reply to
Guy King

Nah, it's the four door version of the Chevy Beretta, and had a sister car on the Pontiac line - the "Tempest". all built on the L-Body:

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Gareth mumbled: