Talking of suspension noises

What would cause the Micra to bang from the front corner over speed bumps? As it drops over the top of the bump, if I have to drive right over one, there's a thump as though the leg has bottomed out but it does it when it goes 'light', IYSWIM, when it's coming off the lump. When it's done it once it doesn't tend to do it again and doesn't do it if there's a passenger.

It's recently had new cv joints and track rod ends, which has made no difference.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Most likely it's the oil sump...

Now, the cause would likely to be old non-working shoke absorbers, though I can not understand your "When it's done it once it doesn't tend to do it again" - What? Ever? On the next speed bump? For the next 10 mins? I am afraid you will need to explain that...

CV joints AND track rod ends should have NO effect on this... I would say (again) check your shocks (and maybe springs), unless something is actually hanging under your car... Try to find a quite road and drive over AND STOP once your front wheeels are over the bump, look under the car and check what is the point of minimum clearance - I suspect [and it should be] an oil sump.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
GArlington

It doesn't do it again that journey.

No, it's nothing hitting the road. Definitely a suspension noise and definitely when the susp. is unloading, i.e. atm or near, full stretch as the wheel is dropping away from the body.

All I can think is that something at the top of the leg mount is knackered but I don't know what's replaceable in there.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Do you have electric/hydrolic adjustable shock absorbers? If not, I have no idea why something would happen only once during the journey and only happen again after you turn the car off and on again...

If it were to be a leg mount (or in fact anything mechanical) it would not happen only once per journey... I would guess it is something that is switched on when the car is started, getting stuck and un-sticking only after the first bump...

Reply to
fast_cars_guy

Bizarre, isn't it? No, no poncy suspension. It's quite a loud bang too. All I could think was that something at the top of the leg settled overnight and put itself out of location, as it were, then it relocates when the leg is pulled down when the wheel drops off a speed bump or summat and stays there until next time. *Shrug*

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Loose strut insert?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" saying something like:

I've had mysterious rattling clonks coming from the top of struts if there's been a loose nut under the top cap. Sometimes it's just wear.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Probably is just wear. Nothing's fallen off and it still goes round corners so it can't be that bad.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" saying something like:

Famous last words, eh? Still, fingers crossed for you and all that...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon