Micra fettlings

I have purchased a pair of cv joints and track rod ends for the K11 Micra.

Will I really need a balljoint splitter or will a bangy screwdriver get them out? Also, what are the outer cv joints like to replace? The HBOL says to lever the joint off the end of the [removed and in a vice] driveshaft, but I'm hoping to be able to do it with the shafts in situ to avoid having to drain the gearbox oil. Possible? Any likely prombles?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

ball joint splitter is advisable & you can do the cv joints in situ, just give the joints a good clot with a soft faced mallet, i use a copper one as it stops bugger up the face of the joint & use it when tapping them back onto the shaft.

Reply to
reg

So that's where Pinking Peter is.

Reply to
Malc

Get the right sort of ball joint splitter too. I got one of the cheap £6 fork type. It made a mess of the rubber protection around the joint. Get the sort with the pivot/bolt type thing. A cheap one can be bought for a few more quid.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Doesn't matter - I'm changing them. That was the point, whether it's easy enough to get the buggers out without a tool I'd only ever use once. Having found that they're not expensive though, I'll just buy one anyway probably.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You have the wrong attitude.

No job is worth doing unless it requires a new tool.

Reply to
PC Paul

I apologise unreservedly; I don't know what happened there. I will go to the Mirroronastick tool shop first thing.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

That's better. Always use any opportunity to increase the size of your collection^H^H^H toolbox.

Reply to
PC Paul

obliviously without the missus knowing, but always be prepared with " oh ive had that for ages" if the questioning gets to intense from her.

Reply to
reg

Or: "It was only £x" try to keep it sounding cheap, "Having it done at a garage would have cost £y, that's £z cheaper".

Never go on to say that the logic she uses for shoe shopping is more specious unless you are working on a camper or have a heated garage.

Reply to
Depresion