Tell me about steering racks

Car: 2004 3-series with 192,000 on the clock.

Just got in from replacing the tie-rods as the last time it went in for tracking they broke out the oxyacetalene[1] and that puts an end to ever undoing them again. Like everything else on the car they were original and in good nick as are the gaiters, rack, etc. When I pulled each gaiter off I was greeted by a good dose of dirty oil, probably a couple of eggcup-fulls.

I can't remember the last time I put any PS fluid in and the gaiters were hermetically sealed so I can't see it being water[2] having got in (and it didn't look/feel emulsified) so is it:

a) I've recently developed leaky rack and I'll be out with the Dexron III weekly until I summon up the enthusiasm to change the rack?

or

b) The 50ml was simply the accumulation of oil that has naturally worked its way past the seals in 190k miles?

[1] Bloody oxy - worst thing to use just to heat something up. [2] My car has done a lot of wading with the last couple of winters.
Reply to
Scott M

No-one?

Reply to
Scott M

nothing wrong with quick heat to loosen elderly rusty components, better servicing would have obviated the need. The mistake was not cleaning and lubing once it was loosened since the heat gets rid of any vestige of lubrication leading to quicker rust.

any component with oil in tends to let a little by with time, if there developed a real problem with the seals then the gaiter expands and splits.

ignore it till it becomes a problem (ie seriously leaks)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Trouble with oxy is it's an oxidising flame which promotes corrosion so it ends up cold welded together in the end. I suppose the trouble with tie-rods is a loatheness to pull 'em apart to grease 'em as it needs the tracking done again afterwards ;-)

I was going to grease them but it was just before the continuous rain so couldn't face getting under there!

Ta. That's me off the hook for another 100k then ;-)

Reply to
Scott M

it will only be an oxidising flame if it is badly set, the correct flame would be a neutral flame which would only heat.

Reply to
Mrcheerful