Temperature sensor location

Does anybody know where they put the sensor for external air temperature readouts?

The work van has one and I'd like to add one to the car.

I'm assuming it would have to be in some box section (sill maybe) to avoid wind chill and obviously away from heat from the engine or interior.

Regards, Nigel

Reply to
Periproct

It depends on the what make and model the car is.

That doesn't really narrow it down. (c;

Out of interest, do you mean add a factory one from a higher spec model of your car or add some sort of DIY system?

Some Vauxhalls have it behind the front bumper. Some other marques like Peugeot/Citroen use a wing mirror housing. Other locations may exist.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Just a £10 DIY jobby.

Thanks for that. Wing mirror sounds good as it won't be too much trouble to get the sensor fitted.

Regards, Nigel

Reply to
Periproct

Wind chill only really applies to animals which have a 'damp' skin where the drying of that moisture by air movement lowers the temperature of that skin. So not to a sensor. In fact wind on a sensor can be a good thing as it will help counteract any effects of radiant heat on the sensor to give a true ambient temperature. Also air is not a good conductor of heat so still air round a sensor can act as an insulating layer.

On one of my cars the factory one is fitted ahead of the nearside front wheel inside the front wing behind the splash cover - so rather susceptible to minor parking damage, like grounding the front on a kerb. Of course in its home country this is the offside. ;-)

I fitted an aftermarket one to my other car and sited the sensor conveniently inside the rear part of the front wing which has easy access from inside the car due to already being a wiring route and it seems to work ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anything animal or otherwise that is of a higher temperature than ambient will be affected by wind chill. ..but it's the ambient temperature ones wants so yes not a problem.

It's draughty in our office but they tell us that the temp is "normal" so they won't do anything. I try to explain wind chill to them but they don't get it :-(

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks for that. I may just go for the easiest wiring route to somewhere outsiide and see what happens.

Reply to
Periproct

Eh? I'd say a wing mirror would be hard work, whereas a wire to the bumper is pretty easy. To get a wire into my wing mirror from the dash, and conseal it, I'd need to 1) remove the knee bar on whichever side of the dash I was going to, and route the cable out of the way, 2) find a way of feeding it into the door bellows, 3) remove the door membrane, 4) route the sensor up to the door mirror, 5) find a way of actrually getting it inside the door mirror 6) refit the door membrane and door card and hope the whole lot doesn't leak. OTOH routing to inside the bumper is a simple case of finding a grommet in the firewall (ask the car stereo boys) and feeding it through.

Reply to
Doki