Is it the windscreen washer motor?

I'm using a 9 year old Nissan Micra 1.3GLX at present, in otherwise excellent condition and very reliable. However although the windscreen wipers will work on normal speed and fast speed, the will not work on intermittent speed. The local Nissan garage have quoted me around £245 to fit a new washer motor! And that's if it IS the washer motor.

Can anyone advise? Is it likely to be the windscreen washer motor at fault? If so, I have sourced a replacement (used) for only a tenner. As I'm not a techie can anyone advise on if this is a fairly straightforward job that a non techlie like me could do - following some simplified instructions (hopefully) from this newsgroup?

I'm stuffed for money at the moment.

thanks

chas

Reply to
chas

first thing to check is the intermittent relay which actually does the switching on and off and should be behind the dash (I think). This relay normally clicks on for a second or two to start the wipers then they park themselves and wait for another 'pulse' from the relay.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
radar

are u taking the ps?

what has the screen washer pump motor got to do with the electronic control for intermittent wipe????

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

btw, a brand new washer pump for a punto i sorted was 8quid from a independent shop.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Well I did say I'm not a techie! Translate that as I know nothing about cars. I have not doubt Nissan are taking the p*ss and whilst I know nothng about cars I know when I'm being screwed for over £200 for what is probably the most expensive part they can order from Japan or wherever they insist it comes from.

To Radar - thanks for the suggestion about the relay.

chas

Reply to
chas

Dunno the Micra, but most have an external timer unit which does the delay. It will probably contain a relay which might just have dirty contacts - if you can get inside the unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd be more inclined to believe they'd diagnosed a dodgy "wiper" rather than "washer" motor.....

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)