The joys of amateur mechanics

Whereas in my case the damage was done by a national garage chain who stripped 1 of the 3 threads on the stub axle which the calliper bolts onto during pads/disc change (and shoes and cylinders) after a 'routine brake check' and refused to allow me to leave (it's unsafe to drive sir). Final cost was about 20% more than main dealer prices for same work. Guess I could possibly had it taken to another garage on a truck.

Only discovered the stripped thread when I (an amateur) next did the pads/shoes next time and found that 1 bolt was slightly larger than the rest (unlike the other side which was 3 identical bolts) and impossible to get more than hand tight as the thread stripped. Presumably the larger bolt was used as it could bite enough to stop it falling out!

Took it to a different garage the next morning who replaced the entire stub axle at a reasonable price and without pre-booking.

So even the so called professionals can do bodges.

Not Kwik-Fit, was it? Sounds very much like their MO.

Reply to
Partac

Professional only means "being paid to do it" half the time.

Reply to
Scott M

Nope, not this time. Only thing I've ever trusted them with is air-con recharging. Considering it's pretty much entirely automated, I've been happy for them to do it, especially with a 20% off voucher.

Reply to
David Hearn

then it would not have been possible (in all likelihood) to use any electrics.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

there is a way to get them to do it free: remove the relay for the air con. they will re-charge it, but find that it still doesn't work, they will not want to get involved in actually repairing it and their:'cooler or free' guarantee will kick in.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If it's wired in such rotten cable that that's true then it isn't any safer with a new board, but unless it's wired in rubber cable throughout that seems unlikely.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It is vaguely safer, in that it no longer has a smouldering fuse box. The wires are now not burnt into each other as they were before (much more room in a modern consumer unit) I explained that this was purely a 'keep you going till a re-wire' job. But it seems to have been on deaf ears, I keep on at his wife about it as she probably has more say. Trouble is that he has been limping along the wiring for the last 30 years that I know of and has lived there since the early 60's. His main beef about a re-wire is having to redecorate bits.

If I had not done the repair he would have been in darkness until some cowboy with even less knowledge had bodged something in and charged him a small fortune.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

So Buy a four module RCBO board & fit that. If it keeps tripping you've made your point.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If it's as bad as you say, I'd not have touched it. Because you then bear some responsibility if something goes wrong at a later date - regardless of your good intentions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

LOL! Love it; what a great idea!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In some ways I wish I hadn't done it, but I had really thought it would have been the wake up call he needed. Since in effect I have replaced wired fuses with mcb of the same rating then the danger is lessened at least.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A guy at a tech college had a ride in the lift with a special needs student. He was on his way to a computing lesson and just kept saying "pute pute" all the time.

The engineering staff refused them access to the machine shop. There was hell on, "They have rights of equal access". From that time on they were called "wip waps" due to the sound that would have been heard as one Wipped round the chuck and Wapped into the wall.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Okay, okay, I'll own up to that one.

Actually it's mainly the kids doing it, although I do sometimes throw rubbish that I've left on the passenger seat for later disposal into the back because my wife gets in before the rubbish has been disposed of.

Currently the interior is very clean, as I've cleared it out, vacced it and even had all the parts of the centre console out and washed them!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

and I would far prefer the rubbish inside rather than thrown out of the window.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes, but what else might they break in the process of doing it?

Reply to
newshound

I had some prat in a Quik Fit place snap the brake pipe off once. 'I only gave it a little twist' he says.

Reply to
James P

He's now happily employed writing software for Facebook.

Pingsplatits.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon