New project, lots of questions to come

Hey all, I just picked up a one family owned '63 for $200 in the 'hood. Tragic tale. Never hit car with the original 40 horse and six volt system. Owner, son of the original owner who bought the car at Wolfsburg, had a $2500 paint job done on the car, had recently rebuilt the engine with a mechanic friend and had installed a new tranny gets plowed from behind by large car. Insurance of course totals the vehicle and there is sat for two years until I came by and offered to buy it. Other than the collision damage in the rear, which consist of a smushed decklid and right, rear fender and bent clip on the right side and a slight amount of damage int he front when the Bug was pushed forward into the rear of the car in front by the impact, the car is very straight and clean. I am thinking about hooking a chain up to the rear clip and then trying to pull the clip out hopefully saving the original rear apron. The engine appears undamaged by the impact so I must resusicate an engine that has sat for two years. I will of course flush the fuel system, including the carb, change the oil and then try to fire it up after spinning the engine by hand a few times first. Anything else i should do before i attempt to start it?

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

.....squirt oil in cylinders...drain oil and change..get garden sprayer (thanks bob) and pipe fitting and plumb it into the pressure switch then juice iut up till oil comes out the pushrod tubes...turn engine a little to make sure you get all of em. check and replace fuel lines. If it does run...and seems to run decent...change the valve spriings on the cylinders that sat open.....hell change em all they are cheap. Better to do wile its convienent than to try and deal with it when it isn't.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian