Thermostat woes

My pug 405 1.8i 1995 seems to eat thermostats. The latest one has lasted less than a year. Cooling system has been flushed recently but the the stat seems to be stuck open. I've done about 300 miles today with the temperature gauge sitting no higher than 73 degrees. A new stat when fitted seems to regulate to the specified 82 degrees so I assume the gauge is good.

Are stats getting less reliable? Are there good and bad makes? I tend to buy from the local motor factor, paying about a fiver. I'd happily pay twice this if I had the confidence it would last a few years.

Fitting them is not much trouble but bleeding the bleeding system afterwards can sometimes be a PITA.

Anyone experiencing similar probs??

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think they've always been like that. Haven't changed one for a while, but I have on several occasions changed one and found that for a while afterwards the temperature would go quite high after a cold start before dropping to indicate that the stat had opened. I don't think that this has lasted as long as a year before getting back to the more usual slow creep up the gauge though. OTOH I've never taken one out and found it stuck open, so just assume that they go out of calibration

Peter

Reply to
ph12