Thread Insert..

Hi, A recent thread prompted me to ask this question.. While changing the oil on my VX Astra the thread on the sump (for the drain plug) practically `fell-out'. I've bodged the plug in with hermatite, but ideally I need to have some kind of thread insert fitted.. I'm located in North Herts - can anyone recommend someone in the Herts/Beds area who could do this for me? I guess I could remove the sump, clean it up and take it into a workshop somewhere...?

Thanks, Declan

Reply to
Declan

Helicoil kits cost about 30 quid, and are pretty easy to use. I'd say if you're happy removing/replacing a sump, you'd manage ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although if you've taken the sump off getting someone to weld a nut ons probably as cheap & easy. & most motorcycle shops do helicoils a lot cheaper than car places.

Reply to
DuncanWood

If you're removing the sump you might want to price up a brand new one and compare it to the cost of having the old one fixed. For the Astra

start from around £25 + vat but a bit more expensive if it's fitted with an oil sensor.

Reply to
Mark

to be honest for this type of repair helicoils suck, timeserts are a much better option

Reply to
Spark

WEll I prefer timeserts for most things but helicoils work fine if you're carefull, you get a nice heat conductive joint & (which is the main plus point) you can buy them almost anywhere.

Reply to
DuncanWood