Tools for restoration project

Maybe, but using the correct size spanner is a better alternative. In a car or bikes toolkit they are just about acceptable. To use on cars or bikes at home or in the w/shop, is a definite no-no as far as I'm concerned. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

For a car? I have fixed spanners to suit all sizes. Adjustables by nature are too big and unwieldy for most things, unless at near their maximum. Avoid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't even expend the effort to carry one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree. It make me cringe, though, when I see someone using one in anger, but loading it up from the wrong side. If you don't know what I mean, then you're probably one of them.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Stilsons can be useful for dismantling if all else fails.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mike G" saying something like:

You admit it's there, though. :)

Fwiw, I very rarely, if ever, use one on automotive apps, yet I carry one in every bike or car toolkit I have.

Where I find them really useful is in plumbing apps, where the myriad of odd-sized nuts on older installations would have you tearing your hair out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

You haven't broken down enough.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R.N. Robinson" saying something like:

Hammer and chisel, mate. That's all you need. And a gas axe.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh yus. ;-) But not for re-assembling.

I've got a genuine 3ft long Stilson that I wouldn't be without. Doesn't live in the car toolbox, though. ;-)

It's in the 'oh f*ck - how can I shift that' one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's not actually that many, but require larger sizes of metric, AF and BSW that most car types have. And then the 'F' pattern adjustable is likely to be needed. But over the years I've built up a collection of ex WD large spanners ideal for traction engines and plumbing. They still turn up at car boot sales for pennies, since they're not bright and shiny chrome plated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because the content of their post usually warrants it.

How do I know you know you're not lying? Google makes it easy to bullshit about technical info.

And? Not a one trick pony. Unlike you, it seems, I'm capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

Really?

begin mike_the_wanker.exe

Reply to
Conor

Stilsons aren't adjustable spanners per se.

Reply to
Conor

And baler twine.

Reply to
Conor

Are your sigs on a big loop, Dave? 'Cos I remember that one from several years ago, as I nicked it for a while for my own email sig!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup. Some thousand or so randomly picked by Pluto - my newsreader.

That's where I get them from too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't, but if you really knew as much as you think you do, you wouldn't find it too difficult to differentiate beween those who have real personal knowledge and those that don't. It's quite obvious from previous arguments we've had, that you fall into the latter category, as far as general mechanical knowhow is concerned.

There you go again. Making unsubstantiated assumptions about my capabilities. Whether you're correct or not is beside the point. You simply don't know enough about me to make such an assumption.

Yes really. You can't fail to have missed the odd snipe at your dogmatic and argumentative attitude, when you're confronted with evidence that proves you wrong.

Conor maxim. When you have a weak argument, start insulting the poster. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

AKA the blue nosed spannner.

Reply to
Dean Dark

You yourself mentioned Google Conor. It's a work of seconds to find out how many times you've been spectacularly wrong in the past.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

You've just basically told me in your post.

No, I always insult people.

Reply to
Conor

As proved by who? Someone whose gone on to google to look up something instead of telling me they're wrong from their own personal knowledge? Do you think I honestly care about that? Sure, if they actually know what they're on about - yes. But most of the wankers just look it up on Google. Sorry - doesn't count if you want to have a dig.

It's quite funny actually. Alot of the things they've not argued that I'm wrong about seem to be strangely hard/impossible to find with a search engine.

Reply to
Conor