Mondeo brake light permanently stuck on

I have an 'M' Reg Mondeo MkI 1800 Petrol.

My brake lights are permanently stuck on. I guess the first place to check would be the brake light switch.

Can anyone tell me where I might find this switch, or whether this is maybe a common problem caused by something else. I imagine the switch will be in the most difficult place to get to, like right up in the back of the foot well ?

Many thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff wrote in news:HIOdnYrn08wRzG snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

Correct.

Correct again. You may find that it simply needs adjusting, as I believe they are usually a normally closed switch, i.e. the pedal presses the switch in when in the rest position and this keeps the brake lights off. When you push the pedal, the lever moves away from the switch and releases it, then the lights come on. So if you're pedal position has altered slightly (due to wear etc), it may be the case that it is failing to connect with the switch when at rest, hence leaving the lights on permanent.

Hope I've explained this OK!

Reply to
Stu

Take the bulbs out

Reply to
PhilÅ

But then I'll have to keep driving forever....no stopping!

Reply to
Jeff

Yup, that makes sense, thanks Stu. I'll take a look in the morning.

(Guess I'll have to get all that gravel out from the bottom of the foot well now!)

Reply to
Jeff

if you pull the brake pedal up, the switch pops out when it goes in again you need to be aware that it's on a threaded bit of plastic, so where you THINK it's going to sit isnt' where it DOES sit, it will mvoe up/down by a fraction

when you press the pedal the switch opens and the lgiths come on, when you let go of the pedal the lever presses the switch and it goes off, so look at the top of the pedal to find the switch (normally with a white plunger and a black body on fords)

Reply to
dojj

would be the brake light switch.

common problem caused by something else. I imagine the switch will be in the most difficult place to get to, like right up in the back of the foot well ?

Find it and spray it with WD40. Worked on my old Astra where the lights were not working and my wife's old fester where the lights wouldn't go off.

Reply to
gazzafield