Touran Bluemotion towbar?

I ended up buying the VW Touran and must say I am very happy with it (touch wood) so far. Unlike the 5008 which was my other choice the Touran is almost silent.

I'm now looking at fitting a tow bar but am told by the first fitter I have asked that all makes of bars will need a bumper cut to fit one.

Is this correct? I don't want to cut the bumper unless it is really essential.

One other thing. How do I turn the sensors off when the trailer is fitted? If I could get around that I might be able to fit one myself.

TIA

Reply to
Gerald

Most need a bumper cut, but if you get the removeable hitch type the cut is usually underneath, so quite hidden. Good ones are not cheap though.

For the sensors, you need the proper electrical kit and to have the towbar coded into the car electronics.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I had the detachable Witter towbar fitted to mine which the salesman admitted was identical to the VW one. It needed a small bumper cut-out. It wasn't obvious so I wouldn't fret over it. Can't answer your question about sensors but I'm sure towbar fitters are familiar with the problem and have a solution.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mostly the solution is to fit a removable tow bar. That way the sensors don't go off every time you reverse. When reversing with a trailer you just close your ears.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Thanks for the replies. I'll wait until I see a Bluemotion with a bar fitted to see if it's acceptable or not then.

Reply to
Gerald

You will need to visit VAG to re-programme the BCM to enable he towing wiring which will disable the parking sensors when the plug is inserted and it detects extra bulbs.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

My 1980 910 Nissan Bluebird estate had a dash panel with an outline of the car that showed failed bulbs by illuminating LEDS. With the trailer connected the operation was inverted, brake light warning LEDS came on every time the brakes the were used. This showed that the trailer was still properly connected and brake lamps were working.

2 extra tail lamps on the position lamp circuit wasn't enough to produce a failure indication.
Reply to
Peter Hill