Towing Automatics..

So, if you've just towed someones stricken car for a few miles and then noticed the manual says not to, what's the likely outcome / damage?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

ISTR the manual for the Shite old Golf says 20 miles at 30mph.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

Most manuals set limits on speed and distance rather than prohibiting it altogether - though even if it's dead set against it I'd expect that a few miles done slowly will probably be OK - but then it's not my car!

Reply to
Guy King

Basically, the bearings are pressure lubricated and below the oil level, so no pressure from the engine driven pump - no lubrication. But they should last for a fair while on the oil sticking to them.

I'd say if you'd done some damage the box would now be noisy.

The tip I've heard is to over fill the box so the bearings are now submerged in oil before towing. Bit of a faff, though, draining it afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)