tread depth uk limit changing ?

The guy in Kwikfit told me that the limit for car tyres tread depth of

1.6mm is changing soon,. Can anyone confirm or deny this ? I can't find anything on google, was it just because the cheeky chappy wanted to sell me more tyres ?

Simon

Reply to
srp

I would say so. My brother is an MOT tester and he hasn't mentioned anything. I know that the law and the MOT sometimes differ but I'm sure they would at least be made aware.

Reply to
gazzafield

I could not find anything either. oh well they have a 'buy 4 get one free' promotion + gave me free tracking alignment so not too bad really

Simon

Reply to
srp

Do you need four and a spare though?

Reply to
gazzafield

no its buy 3 get one..

Reply to
srp

Not heard of anything but I always change at ~3mm anyway.

Alistair J Murray

had a special notice from VOSA today but nothing on there about it ?

Reply to
reg

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I find it difficult to believe that you're giving any credibility to something Krap-Fit are claiming...

Reply to
Adrian

Precisely. Just a sales ploy - Kwik-Fit are a bunch of rip-off merchants. "You can't get thicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter" (I should know, I taught some of them when they were at school!).

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Make that "buy three for the price of six, get one free".

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Curiously I have a friend who purchased a 4 x 4. He noticed a noise on braking and took the vehicle into the local Kwik Fit to have it checked over. They reported the brakes were fine with very little wear on the pads.

we were quite suprised that he got away from Kwik fit without any bits needing doing but we both felt that this meant the brakes were in good safe order.

About a week later he had a mechanic friend service his vehicle. Apparently his pads had completely worn away and the discs had been scored as a result of metal on metal.

He is just thankful that he never ran into anything as a result of the brakes failing. It's disturbing that they would give misleading feedback on something as critical as brakes.

Andy

Reply to
<x>

(x) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's disturbing that people still use Krap-fit.

Reply to
Adrian

They're expensive for tyres but I think like so many chains it depends on the one in question.

I've used one in Newbury on a few occasions that did what they said they would for the price they said they would. They've even fixed a puncture (tyre off, vulcanised plug used) for free once.

I'm happy with the service I've received (but not the standard prices)

Reply to
deadmail

Even if it is going to, it has not yet. Check on the DVLA web site for up-to-date info. It's called upselling, I call it pressure selling. Replace at 2mm minimum depth, especially in the Winter, and shop around at your local small tyre fitters, you will get better price and better service, IME, than 80% of Kwik Fit garages.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Some tyre fitters can be amazingly persistent. I bought some tyres from Apples a few years back and they had a buy 3 get one free offer on. Trying to make the bloke understand that I only needed two tyres so there was no way that I was going to pay for three took some time.

Reply to
Malc

to the best of my knowledge the government want to change to 2mm minimum, long overdue in my opinion too.

Reply to
Spark
[...]

I have a pet KwikFit depot...

When I needed new rear tyres I dropped by and said "I can get a pair of Michelin Pilot Sport2 265/25 R 18 Y tyres delivered to my door, unfitted, for £X. If you can do it for £X+10 all in, the business is yours."

They gave me a £205 discount off their list price and got the job.

Alistair J Murray

Isnt the limit 3mm in Germany? Was thinking this limit might become standardized throughout Europe in time?

Reply to
tED gORDON

Alistair J Murray ( snipped-for-privacy@fluffy.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's about all they're good for. I wouldn't let my cat work on the car, either.

25 profile? 25 PROFILE? FFS! That's not even a *thick* coat of black paint...
Reply to
Adrian

You beat me too it!

Reply to