tread depth uk limit changing ?

I hope you told the branch of Kwak fit, so that they could sack the 'technician'? (not sacking him for the misdiagnosis, but sack him for allowing you to leave without selling you anything)

Reply to
SimonJ

But there list price was probably £300 higher than the going rate!

Reply to
SimonJ

[...]

...also a typo, big tall 35s on the rear. :)

Alistair J Murray

They beat the cheapest fitted price by £12. I offered them £10 over the best unfitted price I could find as an all in price - fitted, balanced and valves - and they went for it.

Alistair J Murray

Alistair J Murray ( snipped-for-privacy@fluffy.f.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Presumably they're either directional or assymetric? Did they fit 'em correctly?

Reply to
Adrian

Why?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon ( snipped-for-privacy@thai.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Because tyres down to 1.6mm across 3/4 should have been long since binned.

Reply to
Adrian

Why?..... Tyres are well past their prime by the time they get to 1.6 mm, I'm not getting into the slicks being better on dry road row but on our poorly maintained, muddy, often wet and at this time of year possibly snowy roads 1.6 mm is woefully inadequate.

Reply to
Spark

Spark ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bald tyres != Slicks.

When we got the Saab for the Dakar trip, one front was as bald as a coot. Decent tyre, Pirelli, IIRC. There was *no* grip from that corner. Even on dry tarmac.

Swapped it for some off-brand rubbish off the scrap tyre pile (but it held air and had some tread) and it was better - still no good, because it was off-brand rubbish - but better. It survived the Sahara, though...

Reply to
Adrian

Its disturbing that the owner didnt hear the bloody noise of the metal of the calipers scoring the f**k out of the discs!!!

Surly the car in question had some sort of pad wear warning system (either a LED on the dash, or a strip of soft metal on the caliper set to 2mm so it hits the disc once the pads are worn to under 2mm), if not the noise of the metal against metal would of made him suspicious!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I use KF in Leven in Fife and to be honest, never ever had a problem. They dont oversell, they will price match on internet prices where they can (even without proof). I had a set of 5 Uniroyal 4x4 street tyres fitted. They beat the cheapest internet quote (incl fitting). When I stopped to fuel later I noticed one had a small cut in the side wall, I knew it wasnt me that had done it (was ony out of KF for 2 minutes) so went back to them. They took the tyre off, changed the spare from the steel to the alloy and orderd a new tyre for me, no quibble at all. 2 days later the new tyre was there ready to be fitted. Think the 5 cost me £420 incl fitting. The tyre was quite new out, small independants couldnt get them for love nor money.

Before I had the Uniroyals I had the standard dunlop ST20's on there. I replaced 2 using an internet tyre supplier and had them fitted at one of their agents in Fife. The balancing on them was awful but didnt notice until a couple of days later (didnt do more than 50 for a couple of days). Couldnt be arsed to drive a 20 mile round trip to go back so just went to KF in Leven. They re-balanced the tyres (not using balance weights at all, just lined them up with the valve on the alloy). I saw the machine showing perfect. Had a drive out. The balancing was better but still not perfect so went back. They re-balanced the rears and swapped front to back. Had another drive. Was much better. Went back to them to tell them, they suggested that one of the new ST20's may be faulty so then swapped one of the rears (that was on the front) back to the front. Took another drive, the wobble had come back. They did all that for me for FREE, didnt charge a bean, didnt try to sell me anything and I had great difficulty offering them £20 for a drink (2 of them did the job on a Sunday).

So, if they can give me a competitive price, they will get my trade. Probably still be wary of other KF branches but can highly commend the Leven branch.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, and they took great care of my wheels too.

The branch in question is staffed by proper petrolheads, two of whom run E30s - a 325i and a ///M3, who like my car and cheerfully keep its tyres inflated for free...

I'd not use them for anything but tyres and wipers(matched best price) but they're fine as far as they go.

Alistair J Murray