turning the alarm off

A friend has a 1990 VW Passat GT estate and disconnected the battery. He didn't realise that the vehicle has an alarm and it keeps going off everytime he tries to reconnect. He does not have a key to disable the alarm. How does he reconnect the battery/disable the alarm please? It is a "Quantum" alarm if that is any help - it sounds for 60 seconds and according to the instructions during the 5 second pause is supposed to reset but it doesn't seem to be working. Please help. Thanks.

Reply to
sally H

I've got one of these and had the same thing happen to me when my Golf battery died. I'd suggest looking at all the wires going to the alarm sounder and cutting the 12V supply, or forcing the lock with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Doki

A bit of reading about suggests that quantum are rebadged Scorpion alarms and were fitted by VW dealers or on the behalf of VW dealers. Try a scorpion fitter p'raps. Mine sounded for 60 seconds or so, would stop and then start again. They don't turn themselves off - they just stop sounding if the car's not being broken into any more...

Reply to
Doki

Thanks Doki. Problem is now solved. Some kind person tried removing the red fuse thingy which is attached to the alarm unit and now everything is fine. He no longer has an alarm but because he didn't know he had one in the first place, it doesn't matter!

Reply to
sally H

LOL

Reply to
Malc

SallyH Brilliant luck, I am having similar problem with a VW Polo Any tips about where I might find the red fuse/alarm box? Nigrob

Reply to
Nigel Leach

Many aftermarket alarms re-set to 'on' after the battery has been reconnected. If you think about it, it makes sense. So he'll need to have it removed if he doesn't have the key or remote.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not much of an alarm. A decent one would have immobilised the car - and removing the fuse wouldn't have sorted this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)