Jetta Alarm Problems

I have a 96 jetta diesel and I am having grieve with the alarm system. It will go off and will not reset. Last time I had to disconnect the alarm relay to reset it. I want to by pass the system, does anyone have an alarm schematic or know an easy way to disable the system.

Kevin

Reply to
The McCaig Family

Unplug the alarm module and look for 2 10gauge red/black wires. Jumper them and it should start. That's the starter wires.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Have there been many problems with these alarm modules? I know of a 98 Jetta 2.0 auto and it is having problems with the alarm automatically arming itself. Makes it hard to engage that starter. I think CarMa# had done some rewiring of the LF power window, but I think this was a problem before they touch the window. I would hope that they did not do something wrong installing the power window regulator. ;-) Also the wiring harness is totally messed up going to the LR door. Are the alarm systems that sensitive to all of the wiring? Of course I see this car after the accumulations of many problems. :-( later, dave

Reply to
dave

Lost track of who said what...

Sounds like the problem I had. Needed to open and shut the door at least once to wiggle the intermittent wires around enough to get the car started!

None that I've heard of.

Repair or replace the harness. Use crimp connectors. Soldering will shorten the wires AND soldering on connections exposed to the weather can have corrosion problems unless you seal them completely. Electrical tape does NOT count.

IIRC, a new harness is about US$100-150. It's not really any better than the older ones :( Best bet is to find the breaks and use crimp splices to 1) fix the connection and 2) lengthen the wire slightly.

Yep. I mentioned it to my independent VW wrench and he says he fixed lots of cars by repairing the door harnesses - especially the rear doors. Sometimes the trunk or front doors can have problems too but the rears are the worst!

Somebody call a lawyer!! ;)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

There is a known problem with these alarms going off and refusing to reset if the rear door wiring is scraped up. Many of them are. Pull the boot back at the door post to take a look. From what you describe, I'll bet one of yours (rear left or right) is damaged.

Mike

dave wrote:

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Mike Spera

thanks Mike. LR door wiring is definitely messed up, but should that cause the alarm to set when trying to start car? Also the doors lock while trying to start car.

Truly this 98 Jetta needs an excorism! lol

later, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave
99% of the alarm problems are related to the door wiring harnesses, door switches, trunk switch, and radio. The control units almost never go bad.
Reply to
Woodchuck

Big Thanks Woodchuck, that is what I wanted to hear. :-)

Happy Holidays to you! later, dave

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Josua Warren

And what year, model is your car? Tthanks for the info Josh.

And how did you fix it? Or is it fixed yet?

Reply to
dave

Could you do me a huge favor & tell me where that alarm module is? I have a 97 Jetta GT & the alarm won't go off. I've tried unlocking/locking the driver's door from inside & outside, turning the ignition on, holding the hood safety switch down (since I have the hood open, jumping the car, since the alarm drained the battery).

Thanks,

Reply to
JWT27T

It's located directly behind the headlamp switch. Just remove the lower covers to get to it easier.

a 97 Jetta GT & the alarm won't go off. I've tried unlocking/locking the driver's door from inside & outside, turning the ignition on, holding the hood safety switch down (since I have the hood open, jumping the car, since the alarm drained the battery).

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try tomorrow!

Reply to
JWT27T

"Woodchuck" wrote in news:3fe5072d$0$35831$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.city-net.com:

I agree, of all the ones iv'e worked on,maybe 1% had a bad module.the easiest way to test your switches is to roll down all your windows,arm the alarm,then manually unlock the door through the open window, open the door & see if the alarm goes off.obvoiusly you will have to reset the alarm after each door until you find the culprit.do the same with the trunk by pushing the release switch in the console.the hood switch & the radio are on the same circuit.a radio not completely seated in the dash will set the alarm off in a heartbeat.especially during drastic thermal changes.see alot of it during the first month or so of cold or hot weather.

Reply to
marc o