Tyre Sealent

Correct. The damage has already been done.

Reply to
Conor

A tyre with a repair is more safe and less likely to create a problem. Also when it comes to replacement time, you'll find it £30 cheaper to fit.

OK So you say a repaired tyre is more safe. With the type of product I am referring to, you don't know you have a puncture, so you cant repair it. Therefore is the tyre in this condition more or less dangerous. Sorry if I am being pedantic but the product I am referring to is put into all the tyres on your car so in the event of a puncture, the tyre is instantly sealed without you knowing anything about it. That could result in say a nail puncturing a sidewall. You know nothing about it and continue to use the vehicle. I was interested to know if any "Experts" ( tyre technicians ) had any experience of this type of occurrence and what their views where. I thought it was a reasonable question.

Reply to
4x4v6

If it's in the centre of the tread I've found screws with most of the head worn away & the tyre still fully inflated. Relying on the tyre going flat isn't a usefull way of preventing tyre damage. They're particularly good at splitting the sidewalls & that doesn't normally cause any leakage first.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

TYre technicians aren't normally experts in that subject, you'd want VOSA.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes.

More.

Because tyre fitters are infinitely more qualified than mechanics aren't they?

Reply to
Conor

Look, you came to this newsgroup which has a load of very knowledgeable people on it, asked their opinions, then procede to ask stupid questions and insult the.people whose opinions you're seeking.

You have already been told the pros and cons of it umpteen times, even I told you (politely) shortly after you posted your original post. Just how intelligent are you?

Reply to
malc

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Colin Wilson, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

We had the limo tyres filled with that stuff. It doesn't work, well, it does in a way, but as Conor points out tyre fitted don't like it (we charge an extra £7.50 if we have to clean it out as it goes everywhere and the recycling people don't like tyres with it in).

Saying that, we did only have one puncture a couple of years after the tyres were filled with it and the tyre was properly knackered. No warning, tyre up, tyre flat. No sign of anything puncturing the tyre but it was a proper mess inside.

Reply to
Pete M

Don't listen to what that other news group told you. X, Y and Z are excellent and have always scored highly in customer reviews.

Reply to
Mark W

The stuff that you have in a squirty can you use toreinflate and seal the tyre once you've stopped with a puncture is OK for the terminally thick or those in an absolutely enormous rush. I don't like the idea of putting sealant in a tyre and leaving it there just in case as every single tyre will cost extra to get rid of when I want a new set of tyres - at Pete's prices, £30 is an extra 15% on the price of a set of top notch tyres for my car.

For normal people, changing for the spare and getting the punctured tyre repaired is the best course of action. The problem with sealants that reinflate and seal is that you are then supposed to swap the tyre off, and as someone who's no happy having different tyres on the same axle, that means spending £100 on a new pair of tyres rather than £15 for a repair on the punctured tyre.

Reply to
Doki

I use Ultraseal in my rear motorbike tyres. When you get a big nail (or other object which makes a hole too big to plug) in your tyre it doesn't plug the hole, but gives a controlled deflation. Which is exactly what happened to me doing about 70mph down the M1 near London in the outside lane. I was able to get over to the hard shoulder safely and get the bike on the stand and still have time to watch the tyre hissing and gobbing out bits of Ultraseal. I reckon that without this stuff in there the puncture may have been more of a bang and possibly thrown me off the bike. My local motorbike place doesn't charge me any more to clean it out (though maybe that's because I buy the Ultraseal from him?) That's my experience anyway.

Reply to
Carl